Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New printer needed in UK (Resolved)

printer

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Chris,

Pleased to hear that you now have the new printer up and running and that you are happy with the purchase and print quality/performance  :thumbsup:

RE: printing from your daughters notebook, if the notebook has a wireless card and is running Vista, Windows 7/8 or 8.1 then all you need to do is go to Add Printer and Windows will auto detect it, you then need only follow the on screen instructions, XP requires a manual set up and we can provide the steps for this if required.

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
HelloPhill,

Okay, thanks for the info. I think our daughter is running Vista, so hopefully there will not be a problem and I will not have to trouble you guys any further!

Thanks again,
Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Chris,

No trouble whatsoever  :happy:

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Thanks so much, you are very kind! :) It is good to know that I can get more help if I need it! :)

I just read the following in a review of the Dell c1765nfwon: 'you can get third party ink a whole lot cheaper than the dell brand. I can get all four cartridges off of amazon for the same price as just the Dell black cartridge.' I was extremely relieved to read that, as I was rather worried about the price of the ink!

Chris

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Chris,

Good idea to locate ink now but with your printer being laser and your normal usage it will be some time before the inks need replacing  :)

Just a btw, all OEM manufacturers try to worry us into purchasing their own branded items but if the truth be known the items are normally mass produced for them and some actually compatible with other brands, notebook batteries is/are a prime example  :yes:

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hello Phill,

Apologies for troubling you again, but my daughter has been round and we tried to print from her laptop. It detected the printer okay, but it was then telling me to insert the installation CD to install a driver. Is this correct?

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Chris,

No trouble at all  :)

Can I ask what driver is being asked for (if it tells you) and if the notebook is a Dell or other brand, I'm 100% certain that I don't need to remind you how picky Dell hardware can be about drivers but in this case if the notebook concerned is not a Dell the driver that is being asked for may be required in order for the printer to recognise and communicate with the notebook and not the other way around, you will find that in your future use of the printer you may get prompts from Dell to install updated drivers for your printer/desktop but you will not be asked to install the same updates to any device that communicates by wireless such as the daughters notebook.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Thank you for your reply. I just assumed that it was a Dell driver that was being asked for, although it did not say. And yes, I think I might have heard somewhere before that Dell hardware can be picky about drivers! :)

Our daughter has gone home now until Thursday, but I spent some time on her laptop both yesterday and today, trying to get it to communicate with our printer. When I inserted the Dell CD for our new printer into her CD/DVD drawer though, it told me: 'The folder you specified doesn't contain driver software for your device. Select a folder that contains your driver software and try again. I could not understand why this might be, although my daughter tells me that she has not been able to burn disks recently, so I do not know if that might be related to why the disc is not working.

Our daughter is running Vista and has a Sony Vaio VGN-NS20E. The Disc Drive is a Matshita DVD-Ram UJ880AS. I looked at the CD/DVD drive in Device Manager and there was no exclamation mark by it and it said that the device was working okay. The Microsoft driver is dated 21/06/2006

It is not crucial that she can print directly from her laptop if it is not possible..... but I think she would like to be able to get the disc-burning function going again, if doing so does not cause too much trouble. I tried to find a new driver for it, but was not sure where to look. Can you help at all, please?

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 06 October 2014 - 11:31 AM.

Robust

Robust

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Hi there,

Strange that the drivers aren't installing via the CD. Looking through this thread, I believe the printer you have is a [b]Dell C1765nfw[/url]. I'm not sure what operating system the laptop is running, so I'm just going to leave you with the link to the drivers on Dell's website.

Dell C1765nfw drivers

Please choose your operating system and you should be able to find the appropriate drivers there.

That is the UK version of the website, I believe the installer will prompt you for a country just for language purposes, but I've never used a Dell product before, personally, so I'd advise selecting your country on there if the language is an issue. By default it'd be English (GB).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Chris,

To avoid confusion can I ask you to start a new topic regarding the daughters notebook and the Dell printer wireless connection, copy/paste the information from your reply #23into your OP and we can take it from there.

FWIW, most optical drives no longer require drivers to be installed for them as they are plug and play, what is/are required are codecs and burning media, this we can also address in your new thread, I am off this week so will be around most days for a few hours and then back again from 8.30pm onwards.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hello there!

First of all, many thanks for your comment Robust. I cannot do anything until our daughter comes back, but will bear what you said in mind.

Phill..... Sure, will create a new topic (presumably in Hardware, Components and Peripherals). I will have to do it a bit later on when I am on the main computer, as I am only using my phone now.

I am a bit unsure how far I want to take this with my daughter's laptop. I was not originally intending to do anything like this... she doesn't like it if I try to get her to download lots of stuff, for example. Her laptop is old and I don't want to be accused of messing it up! Lol! It would be nice if I could help with the apparent problems, as long as it doesn't cause me too much hassle along the way! :)

Anyway, will see you ar the new topic later!

Thanks a lot,
Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:thumbsup:

old-fart

old-fart

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

if the optical drive is no good get a usb one, 50 bucks perhaps, always good to have one around anyway,

, connect laptop to your computer to send stuff for printing through your computer

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Thanks for your reply, old-fart! :)

I did not even know you could get a usb optical drive actually, but in any case this is my daughter's laptop and not mine..... and she has zero cash as she is trying to establish her own business which is not doing too well at the moment!

The idea of her being able to connect wireless to our printer when she is here is that she would be able to print from up in her bedroom. It would defeat the whole object if she had to come down and connect her laptop to our computer.

Thanks anyway for your interest.

old-fart

old-fart

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

ok, can she wirelessly connect to your wireless computer and download the cd install contents, run install and use printer,

can you use a remote help on your computer to install in hers,

can you send the install disk to her by email which she runs to install driver. ,

can you set up your computer as a printer server she connects to. ?

probably one of those, and phil et co can show how. (i'm a linux user since xp.)