Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some kind of virus? Ads, computer freezes, etc. [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Alyssachu

Alyssachu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Finally, normal mode is working... Not freezing at all! I'm using the computer to post this. So it's connected, and it says it's connected to the Wifi but the icon still shows an X, and I noticed there's something at the top of the connection list under "Dial-Up and VPN" that says GetPrivate... No idea what that is. Is that some tool the wifi goes through to connect anonymously?

Advertisements

Alyssachu

Alyssachu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Also, I think I'll go ahead and download AVG for the anti-virus. That's what I used for a long time on my old pc.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Alyssachu,

Finally, normal mode is working... Not freezing at all! I'm using the computer to post this. So it's connected

That's is good news!

The FRST log displayed that AVG was enabled, which I thought was really strange, because I saw nothing in any of the other logs that indicated that it was running nor was it found in the installed programs lists in any of the logs you have provided so far.

The best way to uninstall one AV and reinstall another and stay safe doing so is as follows:

Step 1:
  • Please download the removal tool from HERE to your desktop.
  • Do not install just yet! <- Very important!
Step 2:
  • Please download the AVG of your choice from HERE to the desktop.
  • Do not install just yet! <- Very important!
Disconnect from the internet and follow these instructions below to uninstall AVG to remove any residual files from past installs, then reinstall AVG:

Step 3:
  • Go to your Programs and Features and look for any hint of AVG and uninstall, if found.
  • Install and run the removal tool.
  • Install the AVG version of your choice.
  • Reconnect to the internet to update AVG, then run a scan.
Keep me informed to your progress.

Donna :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I noticed there's something at the top of the connection list under "Dial-Up and VPN" that says GetPrivate...

Ooops! I was so excited to find that you could now connect, that I forgot to answer your question! I am sorry!

Yes. GetPrivate is a VPN – virtual private network - that makes sure that all your Internet connections go through GetPrivate.net servers located world wide. Now your privacy is protected all the time while browsing the Internet, accessing Facebook, sending emails or chatting with friends.

GetPrivate can be installed either by the user intentionally or as adware that is bundled with other software.

Some AV's will detect it as bad because of the latter way it can be installed. I do not recall seeing that software installed either throughout any of the programs lists, though if you would like, go to Programs and Features to uninstall it.

Edit: After having a second look, I see that GetPrivate is listed in the uninstall list of OTL's Extra log.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.