Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP: since support stopped having issues with start up and run

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

OK.  I went into the bios and changed to boot from USB first and it worked, but Farbar Recovery Scan Tool  taking a long time to load.  I am not sure if it's working.  Can't click the List BCD option...I need to get some sleep.  I'll leave it and check it in the morning...Should I restart?  Any other option at this point?

Thank you,

Edited by Alikhat68, 02 October 2014 - 01:00 AM.

Advertisements

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Don't restart yet. Stay at the command-prompt. Let me know what you see in the morning and then we'll go from there. Thanks.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Ok.  It's morning and it looks the same.  I still can't click the List BCD and it seems that I cannot click anything in the Farbar Tool as the hourglass shows when I try to move the cursor.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Go ahead and close the FRST tool if you can. Try running it again to see if you get the same results and let me know. I'm putting together next steps. Thanks.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

OK.  I can go back to command screen but can't close or affect any Tab in the FRST tool.  I can open it again, but seems to do the same thing only now it says it's backing up registry...

Thank you,

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

OK, please do the following.

Step#1 - ChkDsk Repair

Assuming you are still at the command-prompt window I would like you to do the following.

1. Please type the word notepad in the black command prompt window and hit Enter on the keyboard.

2. Under the File menu of notepad, please select Open.

3. Double-click on Computer and then identify which drive letter represents your Main hard drive. It won't be or X: and it should show a size of around 290 to 300 GB.

4. Click Cancel on the Open Dialog from notepad and close notepad.

5. In the Command Prompt window, please type chkdsk C: /R and press enter on the keyboard. Note: Replace C with the Drive Letter you identified in bullet#3.

Note: There is a space before the /R and a space after chkdsk.

6. Chkdsk should begin to run. Let it complete.

Let's try re-booting your machine and see if it will come up.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

OK.  Now I can't access the info using notepad, but I know my main hard drive is C and my partitioned hard drive is D, so I did as you instructed.  I can't tell if the check disk is running but the prompt is not asking for a command...So I guess we wait?  

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

So you were able to type chkdsk C: /R and press enter in the command-prompt window?

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

OK, it was clearly stuck so I restarted and now the check disk is running.  Gotta work so I'll check it in a bit.

Thanks for your help!!

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Check disk has been running since my last post and stopped at Stage 4 of 5.  It has been at this same stage since I left off around 9:30...3 hours ago...stuck again?

Advertisements

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Stage 4 can take a very long time. I wouldn't interrupt it and let it go for now. Check back in a few more hours if need be. It's important to let it finish if it can.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

OK.  I'll check it at end of my work day.  Thanks!

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

OK.  it's still at stage 4 of 5 so I'm assuming it's stuck...what should I do?

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Go ahead and stop it at this point. Reboot if you need to and get back to the command-prompt. I'll post next steps.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

OK.  Back at prompt...