Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 3.0 card cannot install intel drivers

• Please log in to reply

clarky23

clarky23

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

I tried to search comments on this, because I can't beieve I'm the only one with this problem. But the search wouldn't let me because of word size restrictions.  I have a usb 3.0 card in my computer, running winoows 7 ultimate.  I can't believe my system doesn't have the mimimum requirements unless it's winodws 7 itself.  Below are my computer specs.

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 Ghz

8 GB Ram

64-bit operating system

windows 7 ultimate

Do I have any hope?  I trying to make this machine last one more year before I know I have to upgrade.  Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello clarky23,

What type of USB 3.0 card exactly please, a link to the place of purchase and the card itself would be helpful if you can.

clarky23

clarky23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

here is the link to the card I bought from amazon

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and just dawned on me - my motherboard is a ASUS M3N72-D if that helps.

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

There is no reason compatibility wise as to why the card will not work.

Got to ask the obvious I`m afraid but is the power supply from the PSU to the card connected.

With the card fitted download then run Speccy (Free) and post the resultant url for us please, details here this will tell us if the card is detected or not.

You are welcome btw  :)

clarky23

clarky23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

LOL   don't be sorry....I've been known to not do something simple....but in this case, the card does have power plugged to it.

Lnk below

http://speccy.pirifo...fd7BAuMMh3lvAXL

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thank you for the link  :thumbsup:

Speccy does detect a card in one PCI-E X1 slot on the MB but it also shows that your MB has two PCI-E X 1 slots with one presently in use and the other slot free, do you have a second  PCI-E X 1 card fitted, an example could be a sound or wireless card etc.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

not sure where you got the driver your trying to install but in my opinion what you need to do is go here :- http://www.inateck.c...-usb-3-0-ports/

manufacturers site and download the latest driver for it and it should then be seen and work for you.

check to make sure i have chosen the correct product that you have, if so then this is the driver download page :- http://www.inateck.c...-usb-3-0-ports/

make sure you use the correct driver for whichever version of the card you have, i noticed you have a choice of 2.

:popcorn:

oops my mistake looks like you just have the choice of using the old or new version driver, and they are not drivers for different versions of the card.

Edited by terry1966, 26 September 2014 - 05:46 PM.

clarky23

clarky23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

terry1966 - thanks for the link. I downloaded the driver and windows says a newer version was already installed.  i got the driver from chipset company website 9forgot name)

Pjillpower - I have one empty pci-e slot left.  I'm using onboard sound and ethernet.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest i'd uninstall whatever driver this "newer" version driver is and use the one from the manufacturers site.

usually it is always recommended to get and use drivers for any hardware from the manufacturers site, so i think that is your best option to get the card working especially seeing how your windows os can't see or use the card at the moment with whatever driver is currently installed.

can you list the motherboard and bios version it's using too, so i can check if they might be a factor in why the card doesn't work for you.(don't see why they should be, seeing how phil said speccy detects the card.)

just noticed the motherboard is ASUS M3N72-D so just need to know what version bios/uefi it's using.

how to check bios/uefi version :- http://www.asus.com/...rt/FAQ/1008393/

Edited by terry1966, 26 September 2014 - 07:21 PM.

clarky23

clarky23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

i think I'm working at 3.0 and didn't realize it.  I check my backup log copying my projects folder (162GB) to my new Passport and the log says it took 2 hours 4 minutes to complete the backup.  That's 80GB an hour.  That's less than 1GB a minute.  I'm new to the whole USB 3.0 technology.  I know it's definately faster than my old 2.0 passport, but am I running at true 3.0 speeds now?

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

when it comes to real time data transfer speeds you need to take into consideration other things like the speed your drive can work at, what else the pc maybe doing, file sizes, etc, etc..

yes usb3 is theoretically 10x faster than usb2 but in real use i believe 3x faster is closer to the truth, not forgetting of course the attached device needs to be usb3 capable.

80 GB equals 640 Gb and usb3 can transfer that amount of data in about 2 minutes at it's theoretical 5Gbs speed,

usb2 would take about 22 minutes at it's theoretical max of 480Mbs.

as you can see both those results are a lot faster than your 1hr to transfer that 80GB amount of data.

if your drive can only write at 40MBs then theoretically it would take about 33 minutes to transfer 80GB of data regardless of which connection you use, usb2 or usb3.

so to be honest i can't say if it's working at usb2 or usb3 speeds, but if i had to guess i'd say it's running at usb2 speeds.

you say it's faster than your old 2.0 passport, how much faster?

you might find this video worth watching, 3GB transfer took him about 36 seconds on usb3 so that would work out at about 16minutes to transfer 80GB and at usb2 with his results would have taken about 45 minutes to transfer that same 80GB.

Edited by terry1966, 27 September 2014 - 09:23 AM.

clarky23

clarky23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I don't know what to think then.  With my old WD passport 400GB, it took about 3 hours to do the same full backup.  I usually just leave the room when I'm running a backup.  But it's looks like I'm not getting 3.0 speeds.  Someone suggested to me that I tried installing the Intel 3.0 drivers.  I tried that and got the message that the computer didnt meet the minimum requirements.  is maybe my computer just not capable of running USB 3.0??  Speccy info link on my computer - http://speccy.pirifo...fd7BAuMMh3lvAXL

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Folks,

The output and quality of the PSU must not be overlooked, please provide the brand and model name or number of the PSU for us.

As an asides clarky23, Speccy is showing that Windows has not been updated since it was installed, can I ask why as you are at serious risk of malware attack every time you go online.

254.pngOperating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 3/4/2013 3:59:20 PM
Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC): 
Disabled

clarky23

clarky23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

the PSU is an Antec 600W

as for Windows Update.....last time I let Windows update my computer, something happened (to this day still don't know what) and my computer would not boot up.  Ended up losing a week of work (computer was down a week) and a client because of it.  So I live the motto, if it isnt broke, don't fix it.  

Kinda the way I'm feeling about this USB 3.0 card.  It's working as a 2.0, so maybe I just need to live with it until I can get a new system this spring.

I appreciate eveyones help and comments.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Considering all update problems have been fixed by Microsoft, there was at least one that could do what happened to you and since has been removed or fixed, for your own security I recommend you turn on the updates and let them be installed. Most updates are patches meant to prevent outside hackers getting in. At the present moment you are at risk of that happening.

Nev.