Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I troubleshoot Kernal power errors? (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Ape-x

Ape-x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi people!

First let me explain the background to my problem as I am not sure whether it is just a kernal power error or a multitude of different errors. Some months ago I started getting random shut downs, usually when I had chrome open. The cursor would suddenly freeze and the next thing I see is the BSOD and then a reboot. In the event log it showed up as Event ID 41 (task category 63). For some unapparent reason my computer wasn't creating mini-dump files. So the first thing I did was set that to on, then I did the following:

• Updated the BIOS
  • Updated the .NET
  • Updated sound drivers
  • Updated graphics drivers (including deleting the driver, cleaning the computer of driver files then downloading new version)
  • Cleaned the dust out of my CPU and GPU

After that everything died down for a while and I thought I had fixed it, wrong! These last couple of weeks I have been getting crashes but of a different kind, again this is usually when browsing chrome (not sure if coincidence), the monitors will cut out as if I had ripped out the DVI plug or something and refuse to come back on. Something strange happened in the crash I had today, the first monitor went blank, and the second went pixelated, I took a photo so I will attach to this post. I then have to force restart the computer in order to get everything back up. Now after I reboot and look at the event manager I see that it has logged a kernal power error but I'm not sure whether that is caused by me force restarting, maybe you could help me out there. Also when I went to check my mini dump files the folder is empty, What the...?

Please help me out guys I am totally lost!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Ape-x,

the first monitor went blank, and the second went pixelated, I took a photo so I will attach to this post. 

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

The picture that you have mentioned but not yet attached will also prove helpful btw  :thumbsup:

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi these are my specs for my custom PC build:

• Asrock z77 Extreme4 motherboard
  • Radeon HD7850 GPU
  • Antec 850 watt PSU

Also here is the photo.

5Pepd7Dl.jpg

Edited by Ape-x, 03 October 2014 - 09:01 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Sorry but I should have also requested your Ram details, can you post them for us, better still if you can provide a link.

We should first check the temps and voltages;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Next;

To see if we can identify any driver conflicts please refer to the copy/paste details below provided courtesy of jcgriff2  :thumbsup: 

1. Create a Windows System Restore Point -

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8/ 8.1 - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows*8) | HP® Support

2. Run Driver Verifier -

Windows 7 & Vista - START | type verifier 
Windows 8.1 & 8 - Press WIN +X keys | select "Command Prompt (Admin)" | type verifier 

Make these selections - 

1. Select 2nd option - Create custom settings (for code developers)
2. Select 2nd option - Select individual settings from a full list

3. Check these boxes -

▪ Special Pool 
▪ Pool Tracking 
▪ Force IRQL checking
▪ Deadlock Detection
▪ Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
▪ Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)
▪ DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8) 
▪ Miscellaneous Checks

4. Select last option - Select driver names from a list
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish 
8. Re-boot
[/HIDE]

- If the Driver Verifier (DV) finds a violation, it will result in a BSOD

- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows

... • Boot into SAFEMODE - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up

... • Select "System Restore"

... • Choose the restore point that you created in step #1

- For Driver Verifier status

--- select last option, 1st screen -or-

--- type verifier /query (in a cmd/DOS screen)

- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset then re-boot

- The Driver Verifier needs to run as long as possible - even if the status screen appears clear.

- All future BSOD dumps must be VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMPs - otherwise the dump(s) are of no use

If your system does BSOD while the Driver Verifier is running, please retrieve the dump file from c:\windows\minidump and attach it to your next reply.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

First off let me just say thank you for being so helpful and informative, I really appreciate the effort you put in to helping clueless people like me.

Ok so a little update. First off I have two 4gb sticks of DDR3 RAM (Vengeance I think?). I booted up the computer this morning to be confronted by this:

0snKvHMl.jpg

The computer failed to boot after several tries, so I unplugged everything and cleaned the inside and reseated the CPU fan and GPU just to make sure. When I next booted up it managed to load, although I'm not sure whether that was coincidence or not. On the desktop the icons in the bottom right didn't load up and it was trying to find some drivers.

Ahj86cK.jpg

I went through the instructions you listed so here the Resource and Speedfan screencaps, note that I don't have the side of the tower on at the moment so it's not really representative of regular use:

Here is the link to the original image sizes: Resource Manager and Speedfan

SiqsejXl.jpg

VEqCULxl.jpg

After that I looked at the restore point and apparently I already have the C: drive registered for restoration. I then went on to the verifier and let it run, then restarted when it prompted me to. No BSOD occured so I thought everything was fine, until it loaded up the desktop and the screen froze like this:

2VeNggwl.jpg

I turned it off and restarted in safe mode with networking and checked the minidump folder, but its empty. So I have no idea what to do at this point...

Edited by Ape-x, 04 October 2014 - 06:34 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Can you please use the method that I provided for taking and attaching the screenshots;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

When you removed the heatsink and cooling fan did you clean off the old thermal paste with an appropriate cleaning solution and then reapply the correct amount of fresh thermal material.

Regarding Driver Verifier, it is sometimes necessary to leave it running for up to 72 hours, if after that time you have had no crashes it most likely not a driver issue, you can use the computer as you normally would and system performance is not affected.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

No I didn't touch the thermal paste I just left it as it was. With the Verifier, is it supposed to start checking before it boots up the desktop? Because when I restart the computer after following the steps its goes to desktop and then crashes as shown in the picture of my last post.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

It is vital that you follow the guide here to remove the old thermal paste and apply a fresh amount, your CPU will fry if you don`t 

We will come back to Driver Verifier when the above has been done.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Ok I have just reapplied some thermal paste.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

And how is the computer running.

Driver Verifier does not always result in an instant BSOD and this is because not all drivers are required/used upon boot, I have already advised of this but it is not unknown to need to leave DV running for up to 72hrs before a crash occurs, this is uncommon though and if a driver problem is causing the system to crash it will normally happen within a few hours of normal use.

The last picture in your reply #5 btw is not the computer crashing like a BSOD, it suggests more of incorrect drivers being installed which if the case can be pinpointed by starting in Safe Mode, if the graphics are ok it does suggest driver issues, if the video is still bad it suggests a hardware issue such as an overheating CPU/GPU or Ram and in a worse case scenario all 3, too much or unstable power from the PSU can also be responsible.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Yea I can't carry out the verifier because it just crashes when I reboot. I need to log in on safe mode with networking to not encounter what happens in pic #5, so I suppose it is a driver issue? I'm looking at my temperatures now and nothing is over 35 degrees so it cant be overheating. Ho would I go about addressing the issue?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

Download and then run Display Driver Uninstaller (free) which can be obtained from here  this will uninstall all traces of drivers of the video card (including CCC).

Manually enter your video card and OS details here

Download and save the drivers to your desktop.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode without Networking.

Install the drivers that you previously saved to the desktop.

Restart the computer as you would normally and test.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

God [bleep] I hate computers so much...I unistalled the display driver as instructed and went to reinstall it in safe mode. I am met with an error when installing that says 'failed to load detection driver'. I the tried deleting everything AMD I could find in C: but I still cant install. 

EDIT: I done a system restore back to 2/10/14 and now I can access desktop without it crashing in normal mode.

Edited by Ape-x, 06 October 2014 - 10:43 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Thanks for the update/s Ape-x  :)

It would appear that you have made inroads into resolving the issue yourself so well done  :thumbsup:

If the computer remains stable please create a new restore point and then run DriverView from here to identify what graphics drivers are being used, no install is required just unzip and run it.