Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Putting T.V. series in consecutive order inside folder

List TV series in order

• Please log in to reply

tinycar

tinycar

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi,

I have downloaded some t.v. series and am trying to put the episodes in consecutive order inside one folder. 

No matter which way I list them, once they are loaded in the folder they scramble out of order.

I've heard there is a programme that helps with this but was a bit bamboozled when I googled it.

Is there anyone that can steer me in the right direction on how to do this?

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

tinycar,

What operating system  ? Usually right click in folder, select sort by and group by options. Most of time in a alphabetical order "name"  of file.

Edited by jds63, 26 September 2014 - 03:41 PM.

tinycar

tinycar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Jds63 :

Thank you!  I'm running Windows 7 and that was simple.

:)  Cheers

tinycar

tinycar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hang on, I spoke to early. 

I tried this in the latest folder and it still lists them out of order.  In the 'Group By' section there is no alphabetical option butI have ticked #, name, date modified, description and many more.

They are still out of numerical order. :(

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

HI TINYCAR,

Your Welcome,

Right click empty section of window, mouse over and highlight " Sort by " select "Name"  then also select "Ascending" . That should put in by name in alphabetical order.

tinycar

tinycar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks.

The folder is listed as Name and Ascending. 

I have tried to manually change the episode names too, however windows says the file will be damged if I change the name.

It must be something to do with the downloading?

Cheers anyway :)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi tinycar,

Your welcome !

Well when you change the name do you see the extension of the file ? Example : .avi , .wmv, .mpeg

Then you are changing that too, make sure not to change the extension, just the name before the Dot.

You have a folder view setting to see these extensions, this can be changed.

What operating system ? In windows 8.1 go to the control panel under folder options in view tab make sure to check "Hide Extensions for known file types "

Trying to recall with Windows 7 can find it in the menu bar too if not in control panel.

Few ways to change the name, either right click it and select rename or properties.

Edited by jds63, 12 October 2014 - 01:42 PM.

Glen Fiddich

Glen Fiddich

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Number the files so they are in order using

01- file name

02 - file name

03 - file name 

through to

09 - file name

and so on till you get to 10 (no need for the leading zero) which stays as is. This way they will be in the correct sequence for playing.