Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't boot from a recovery drive

• Please log in to reply

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi all,

A few years back, I bought a second hand gaming computer for my daughter, which has worked really well until the other day, when it just wouldn't boot.

We got the error message "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key".

I've been trying to follow the instructions here:

https://www.geekstog...-pro-wont-boot/

and created a recovery drive from another computer (which took a few hours).

I'm pretty certain that both devices are 64-bit Windows 10 machines but nonetheless, I still can't get it to boot from the recovery drive. The best I can get is a Windows logo on the screen and that's it.

Is it possible that this is a hardware problem?

Thanks in advance

RSP

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

RSP,

Did you intend to post this on the malware removal forums.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi Phill,

To be honest, I'm not sure. I thought that if I could run the FRST diagnostic, that would at least give an indication of whether the problem is malware based or not. The onlty reason I assumed it was malware is that it was working fine at one point and then not the next - there were no warning signs, which might have been evident if it was a hardware issue.

If I can't get it to fire up from the recovery stick, I guess I'll never know one way or the other.

Rregards

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hi RSP,

Too late now but the way to go would have been Windows 10 forum first and the security forums if necessary, security experts can help out on those forums but for obvious reasons only security trained helpers can help out here.

If no help is forthcoming by a security expert by tomorrow you should post in the Waiting Room forum and be sure to mark the thread as being malware related.