Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dropbox won't stay installed

• Please log in to reply

medusa9

medusa9

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Today around 2:15pm, I clicked the icon to open and connect to Dropbox.  The icon appeared in the tray as usual, even managing to begin updating any changed files, but then disappeared... along with the whole program.  When I clicked on the icon to restart the program it said the item had been changed or moved.  This has happened alot since earlier this year.

I looked to see if f-Secure is the culprit but I can't find any records that it's removed anything. 

I checked the event log but I'm not sure how to make sense of it.  I don't see anything that says "removed dropbox".

The only thing in the Event Viewer that happened around the time it disappeared was 'Application-Experience' reported The Program Compatibility Assistant service successfully performed phase two initialization.  Also, Multimedia Class Scheduler service started and stopped several times every few seconds, and The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service had started just before, and stopped just after the program disappeared. 

The last time it happened was about a week ago.  I used the program, then exited.  A few minutes later, I tried to connect again but the program was already gone.  I used system restore to bring it back. 

I use Windows 7 Starter on a netbook with F-Secure Security Suite.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Maybe Dropbox is installing a new updated version and for some reason it failed or didn't had time to complete!

Restoring will not help because the program will try to update again. I suggest you visit Dropbox to download and install the latest version.