Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Back up questions

• Please log in to reply

RyanTzb

RyanTzb

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hi guys, I just reformatted my computer wiped everything clean and now my computer is much faster than before, because of that, I decided to do a a backup of my computer at its current state with only applications and games that I want, along with some system updates which I installed. I took quite a long time to set up my computer all over again so I was wondering if there are any back up software that can backup my system at its current state so that if I ever have to wipe my computer clean again or if I get a new computer, I dont have to take such a long time to set everything up again. In a sense , I can just wipe everything clean with darik boot and nuke and then just boot up my system with my backup and just restore everything. Just wondering if it is possible and if it is not, what are some alternatives? Thanks guys

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Ryan Tzb,

Yes there is, and its a very good idea that you have had.

A disc image is what you need.

Paid for applications that will do this re available from Acronis, Paragon, Symantec Ghost etc, but there are various free alternatives

Macrium Reflect free has a good reputation and will enable you to reimage your computer back to the state it was in when you made the image.

In the event that a software or operating system ( Windows) trouble strikes in the future that cannot be fixed in a timely way by the usual methods, then your hard drive can be reimaged an you can be back and up and running again in less time than it takes to walk the dog...

Some extra  thoughts for you:

1 Make sure you have sufficient storage for your disc images... external hard drives (USB) can be very useful here;

2 Ensure you have a method of booting your computer and accessing your disc image in the event that Windows wont load.( there is a wizard with each disc imaging application, or instructions telling you how to do this)

3 Make several disc images and keep at least one safe offsite on removable media.

4 Its fine to take incremental images ( and it does save on disc place) but keep at least one copy of your initial disc image, totally separate as you ultimater "get out of jail" card!

Here's a link to Macrium Reflect Free

http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx

Regards

paws

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

I will also add that if you have or can obtain a means of connecting an ordinary hard drive, plus a spare hard drive of the same capacity as the one in your computer, you can then create a complete clone of your system on to the spare hard drive using the free version of Macrium Reflect..

In the event of any of the major catastrophes that can happen, from a corrupt operating system to a completely dead hard drive, all you do is remove the hard drive from the computer, and then fit the spare.

Being a clone on the spare, it will boot up and run straight away.

What you need to buy, borrow, beg, or whatever in hardware, is a spare hard drive of the same size or bigger as the one already in the computer, and a means of connecting it via USB to the computer in order to put the clone onto the spare hard drive in the first place.

The means of connection are basically of three types, the simplest is a hard drive to USB adapter, the next up is an empty enclosure, or thirdly, a hard drive docking station.

Because it was worth while for me, I bought a docking station as they are the quickest and easiest to use when I have a few hard drives and computers, however a simple adapter will do as being possibly the cheapest option. You just need to know which type of drive is fitted in order to match it with the spare and adapter, the two types are the older IDE, or PATA, the newer type is SATA.

If the computer is less than four years old and running Vista or Windows 7 or above, the hard drive is most likely to be of the SATA type.

It is Windows XP, or early Vista that may be the older IDE or PATA type.

If any questions, please ask, it is better to be fully informed than to go off doing something without the correct knowledge.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 27 September 2014 - 07:13 AM.

RyanTzb

RyanTzb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Thank you guys for the advice :) , will be saving up for a 2TB external hard drive but for now, use http://www.geekstogo...acrium-reflect/ this guide to back up my current computer. Thank you so much

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi Ryan, thanks and glad we were of help.

Nev.