Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell D400 not recognizing CDROM?

• Please log in to reply

BuzLtBeer

BuzLtBeer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell D400, it has a weird CDROM hookup, almost looks like a USB plug. Anyway, I was having problems with it so I wanted to get a fresh start. I deleted the primary partition and created a new Dos partition.

Normally I just format the new partition and install the operating system, however, with this it keeps saying "Device driver not found: 'OEMCD001'. No valid CDROM device drivers selected". Although, I can read the contents of a cd in the drive I can't get the format command to work.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. You need to install the driver for the CD Rom. If you don't have it, you can probably get it from Dell's web site.

BuzLtBeer

BuzLtBeer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just in case anyone else has this problem, I did not think it could be this easy, but, I put the Windows XP Pro CD in that came with the laptop and it appears to have everything it needs to be recognized and to install the operating system.

It's formatting the partition now which is further than I got before.