Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Fruit Gum

Fruit Gum

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi!

I recently purchased a Gigabyte GeForce FX 5500 graphics card as a much needed upgrade from my Intel integrated graphics.

After installation of the card and the drivers (latest Nvidia 71.89) as well as disabling the on-board graphics in the BIOS, everything starts loading up OK but immediately after logging-in I get a momentary glimpse of the desktop wallpaper and then everything goes black.

Is there something I'm missing as I think I've followed most of the instructions correctly?!!! :tazz:

Thanks very much in advance!

Advertisements

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
have you disabled the graphics card in Windows? maybe that's it.

Fruit Gum

Fruit Gum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi,

Yup, I disabled the Intel integrated graphics controller prior to installing the new card (Device Manager>Display Adapters>Intel graphics (blah-blah-blah)>Disable).

Do you think it's a driver problem? I installed the 71.89 drivers first which I downloaded rather than the ones shipped with the CD (which I presumed would be older).

Thanks very much for your help!

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
it sounds a lot like a driver problem. try the other ones and see what happens

Fruit Gum

Fruit Gum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi,

I tried re-installing with the drivers that shipped with the CD but still the same problem. Black screen on log-in (the monitor says no signal) and have to press the reset button.

Have been reading on Nvidia's website that on installation you should shut down background antivirus programs. Granted I didn't do this, but figured it wouldn't make that big a difference? Right?

Am starting to worry if it's a motherboard-graphics card compatability problem? Don't really want to fork out money to find out that it doesn't work! (nothing in my pre-purchase research indicated it wouldn't work together!!!!) :tazz:

Thanks again!

PS. I read a lot in these forums about power supply affecting graphics cards? How does this work?

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi,
I'm no expert but have had a similar problem. When you tried the other drivers did you remove the card from your hardware config first and start from scratch? I mean did you go into safe mode, remove the graphics adaptor and then boot up and and install the driver? That's what worked for me.

Fruit Gum

Fruit Gum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK, just to clarify, starting from scratch:

1) Boot in safe mode
2) Remove/disable current graphics adapter (Intel Integrated) via Device Manager, do not restart. (If necessary, run Driver Cleaner twice to remove any existing/leftover references to graphics drivers, which might be there from my previous installation attempts).
3) Turn off compter and add new graphics card.
4) Connect monitor to new card
5) Switch on and disable 'onboard VGA' from BIOS.
6) Boot up normally and install drivers (the company suggested I try and use Vers 71.84).
7) Restart when prompted.

Does this process sound right? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Fruit Gum

Fruit Gum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK, tried installation process again.

Am getting a bit further in that I can see some desktop icons after logging-in but very erratic and the black screen (ie loss of signal) could appear at any time.

Any more suggestions, please?

I don't really understand why after installing the drivers, I can see things temporarily on screen and then the signal disappears?!!! Things seem to point to a driver problem but could it possibly be something else? :tazz:

There is something about a BIOS Flash Utility (instructions on how to reflash BIOS) in the instruction manual but I'm a bit scared to touch this as 1) I don't know what it is or does 2) I wouldn't know how to fix the BIOS should there be a problem!

Thanks for your help!