Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Always use this selected program to open this kind of file" i

Program Association

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

When I went to open a PDF file, "Always use this selected progam to open this kind of file" is greyed out.  I was able to associate these files with Adobe but they are still showing the Firefox logo.

Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try setting .PDF to Adobe Reader in Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types tab. If .PDF is not listed, add it.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Thanks Ztruker.  However apparently this is a bug in the new Firefox and I had to do this: https://support.mozi...estions/1014919 under the "Chosen Solution" 

1. Open Adobe Reader 2. Edit->Preferences 3. In the Categories column click 'General' 4. Near the bottom of the page click the button marked 'Select Default PDF Handler' 5 In the dialog, select 'Adobe Reader XI' and click 'Apply' 6. A Windows Configuration screen will appear. Allow it to do its stuff (takes a few minutes), then restart your computer when prompted.

Now in control panel under PDF it says: You have customized extension files with extension 'PDF."  To restore these files to their default type (Adobe Acrobat Document), click Restore. My question: Should I? and What would the difference be either way?  FYI - before this was referring to a Firefox HTML.

Another question - if it is ok - I was trying to use System Restore and in all three cases it said that the restoration was unsuccessful.  I will set a new restore point but how can I check that these are working?

Thanks for your help.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

First, turn off System Restore and click Apply.

That will delete all existing restore points.

Next turn it on again and click Apply.

That should create a new restore point.

Reboot then try to restore with that point, see if it works.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Restored and undid restore - both worked.  Thanks!

Your opinion on other question?

Now in control panel under PDF it says: You have customized extension files with extension 'PDF."  To restore these files to their default type (Adobe Acrobat Document), click Restore. My question: Should I? and What would the difference be either way?  FYI - before this was referring to a Firefox HTML.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I don't have XP any more so can't look at that. I have XP in a VM under Oracle Virtual Box but that's tied up at the moment playing with Windows 10 Technical Preview.

I would leave it ASIS though.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Ztruker -

Thanks for your help!