Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver download location that can just download without any BS?

• Please log in to reply

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I have 3 computers.  

1 is down and I'm trying to fix it (win XP)  in order to fix it I need to be able to burn a re-boot disk.  

Computer 2 only has CD-ROM  no burner...shocking, I know.  

Computer 3 (the oldest of the 3) 2002 XP Home Ed. SP3-- has ROM and Burner Lite on DVDRW SOHW 1633 and CD ROM LTN489S.  Has 39 error code for the drivers so they won't work.  I tried to update drivers and the updater I used w/AVG updated my USB wireless driver so now that computer cannot get on the Internet and restore requires a CD and not working disc drives is what I was trying to fix.  What I'd really like to find is a location to download a driver onto a USB and then install it on my desktop.  OR as I saw somewhere else there may be filters that are blocking the installed drivers...if someone could tell me how to undo that, it would be great.  This is really crazy!!  

BTW--I have another post for a different computer  http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Alikhat68,

Have you tried booting computer 3 using Last Known Good configuration;

Restart the computer while continually tapping the F8 key.
When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press Enter,

Let us know how it goes.

NB: I see that BrianDrab is helping you with the computer that has malware so good luck with that.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Yes, I did try that and it was the same. My nephew has been using that computer and said it's been like that for a while. On a positive note the computer is running faster since updated drivers and I got the Wireless working again.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Yes, I did try that and it was the same. My nephew has been using that computer and said it's been like that for a while. On a positive note the computer is running faster since updated drivers and I got the Wireless working again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
How did you get the wireless working again, the information may help someone else if they find themselves in the same position and they happen to read your thread.

Rather than look for the driver I would suggest that you create a system restore disk of your present working system, see below;

Log in to your Windows XP account. The utility can be accessed from the "Start" menu, and doesn't require additional software or permissions.
Click "Start," open the "All Programs" menu, open "Accessories," then "System Tools" then click "Backup."
Click "Advanced Mode" on the first screen (the blue text link within the window), then click "Automated System Recovery Wizard." Click the "Next" button to continue the procedure.
Insert the blank disc into the computer's CD burner. Click the "Browse" button next to "Backup media or file name" and select the blank disc just inserted, then click "OK."
Click "Next" to go to the final screen, then click "Finish." The backup process will begin, and you will be allowed to remove the disc when it is complete.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Oh nothing major with the wireless.  I downloaded the driver from DLink on my work computer and saved to a thumb drive and re-installed it.  There was some craziness because whenever you install a D-Link or at least when I do, the new computer seems to high jack the router and reconfigure it.  I'm not sure why.  I was able to get it back to the original profile with my work computer and all my computers and mobile devices are back in business.  Except the one being helped in malware...  

As for making the disc...I can't use either of my disc drives...they are not recognized by my computer as even existing and therefore they can't read or write, which is what I'm trying to fix.  I could make a back up usb but my computer may not boot from that...??

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

So I have to confess that my desperation to fix my other machine pushed me to a desperate move on this one.  I used this:  http://www.dougknox...._CD-DVD-Fix.zip  and now My Computer does recognize that I HAVE DVDRW and a CD ROM.  I can play a DVD but neither drive seems to recognize a CD Rom when inserted.   Sorry if this mucked up you plan.  What can we do now?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Not at all as what I would have post in response to your reply #6

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run  http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

A couple of things that can cause issues with optical drives are, the read/write laser going out (unusual for two drives at the same time) the computer or drive/s do not like the brand of disk and there is no media software to play the disk (it may be present but corrupted).

Will the drives not play either burned or retail CDs.

What media are you using to play the CDs, try an alternative such as VLC  if you are using Windows media player

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

OK.  I'll try your suggestions later.  I actually wasn't using media player. I'll try that. Power DVD played a commercial DVD.  When I tried to make the boot CD for my other computer it didn't recognize the medium. It seems to be recognizing DVD-R but can't make boot cd on DVD.  

Now the CD Rom drive IS recognizing Cd's but that is not the record-able drive. Maybe it was just rusty from not working for almost a year... We were able to load a printer that we couldn't before due to software not being read in CD ROM and driver issues.  

I remember this DVD RW drive being very picky about medium as long as I've had it.  It was my previous work pc and I used to keep photo records so had to transfer photos from camera memory card to CD and burn it.  I remember sometimes that is didn't recognize one CD and recognize the next or say it wasn't blank when it was...  CD-R worked better.  I'll pick some up today.  I only have RW on hand.  I'll keep plugging away...I'll let you know what happens.

Thank you,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

The drive appears to be reading now (no need to follow the other steps) at least so may be a bit of use will actually spark the burner back into life, the burning software I am not familiar with and for a good free one you could try imgburn as an alternative, remember that XP only requires a CD - RW and not a DVD -RW like Vista, 7 8/8.1, this is because XP does not have the video content that the other OSs have.

See my canned text below for burning your boot disk;

If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.
RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc

You are welcome btw and yes please do keep us advised on how things go  :thumbsup:

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Hello,  Don't think I've forgotten you.  I'm still not sure which way to proceed for this problem.  I need to burn a boot disk for my other ailing computer and the program he's suggesting doesn't give me an option of choosing my burn program.  Still haven't been able to resolve the issue of burning CD, but could probably burn DVD...your comment above states XP will only accept CD Rom not DVD, right?  I'll see if the back up allows me to burn it to a DVD.  Would USB drive work?

Thanks,

Ali

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello again Ali,

What I actually said was "remember that XP only requires a CD - RW and not a DVD -RW like Vista, 7 8/8.1, this is because XP does not have the video content that the other OSs have." I thought I was being helpful in trying to save you a DVD but instead confused the issue, sorry about that, see table below;

The following table describes different CD or DVD burning scenarios and provides advice about which format to use.

To Use this

Burn any kind of file and use the disc in a Windows XP or later computer.

Disc: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, or DVD-RAM

Format:‌ Live File System