Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows not showing o.s select choice while bootup.

operating system

• Please log in to reply

speed168

speed168

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had windows 7 on drive c and now I Installed windows xp on drive d but the problem is its not showing me o.s choice while booting its directly loading windows xp. Is there any way to change booting drive or rather directly boot a drive from command prompt anything like that.

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, :welcome:

I am not sure that you installed the XP correctly here and the install might have wiped the Windows 7.

Lets have a look at what is shown in the disk management window, click on start then "Run" or alternatively hit the Windows flag key and the letter "R"

Copy and paste this into the box and click OK

diskmgmt.msc

Can you show us a screen shot of what that shows please.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 02 October 2014 - 08:38 AM.

speed168

speed168

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
See now in xp c drive has xp and d drive has windows 7 files. Now have to make drive d as system.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

You might be able to do that in the BIOS, though not familiar with dual booting myself so might be best to wait till someone with more knowledge can advise the best way forward from here.

Nev.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

When installing XP to the same HDD as already contains Windows 7 there are additional steps that must be taken or you will encounter bootloader and bootmanager problems, ideally XP should be installed to the HDD first and then Windows 7 afterwards, an article here explaining what you need to do.