Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Regaining free space on hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I”m looking to recovery more free space on my XP pc. I have lots of free space on an external (E:) hard drive.

Am I correct that I MUST keep all those aps -- that are listed in my Control Panel\

Add or Remove Programs -- on the pc’s built-in hard drive. That is, I can NOT move them to the E:drive? Just checking. Thanks.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi batpark,

I assume you are talking about installing your software on the external drive instead of internal drive. Can't just move them, have to reinstall them.

It would probably work in most cases, but expect problems. Obviously the application won't be there when the drive isn't plugged in. With some programs, that could give you grief even if you don't intend to run the program. Also, USB is slower than IDE and SATA, so the program won't perform as well as it should.

So if you are running out of space, buy a new internal hard drive or add a second hard drive instead. They're sometimes cheaper than the external ones, and faster. And after the initial hassles of installing them, they're much less trouble.

Edited by jds63, 02 October 2014 - 06:08 PM.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Jds63: That sounds right. I'll see if I can get some hands-on help to install an internal harddrive. I appreciate the advice.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Your welcome. Advice get the second drive, reinstall some of your software there, also use it if you play games. Use the external for backup and storage of Documents, music, videos and pictures. Anything of importance. Plus run music, videos from there to save space on internal. If have trouble need help installing the drive, repost a thread here.

Edited by jds63, 03 October 2014 - 02:06 PM.