Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU Temp (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Hello,

I have an Intel i7-950 which is running very hot for no apparent reason. All four cores were mid 70s C when I only had Hearthstone and Chrome open with max reports of 91 C during more heavy gaming. I already got a clean bill of health from the malware team so I am not sure why it is running so hot. I verified all of my fans are running. Is it possible it just needs a replacement coat of thermal paste? 

Idle temp is mid 50s C with CPU load of 1-4%

Is there any tools I you recommend for more precise monitoring? Only once this summer has my PC crashed because of max temp threshold, but I am having intermittent issues with my PC monitors going black for a few seconds and I feel it may be related. 

Edited by Trippster, 03 October 2014 - 10:05 AM.

Advertisements

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

One of the usual suspects in overheating is dust buildup. When have you last completed a total cleanup of your case?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Hello Trippster,

Correctly applied quality thermal materials will most often last for the lifetime of the CPU and will not normally need reapplying unless the heatsink has been removed/replaced.

I am surprised that you have not had more serious problems (regular crashes and artifacting etc) than what you have presently had, your CPU has a Minimum/Maximum operating temperature thermal footprint of  5°C - 67.9°C so your computer should have automatically shutdown as soon as these temps had been exceeded, in essence your CPU is being cooked.

Has the system ever been overclocked.

Have you made any changes to the thermal shutdown temperature setting in the BIOS.

How were the temperatures that you have told us obtained.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I have a custom built PC. I have not done any overclocking or changing or BIOS settings. Temps were obtained with RealTemp and OpenHardware Monitor. Maybe I was mistaking the CPU core temps for the overall cpu temp?

Speedfan:

C4x6MRt.jpg

HWMonitor:

uWqTo7M.jpg

Edited by Trippster, 05 October 2014 - 10:28 AM.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Here is a more realistic speedfan capture, after my PC had been on for a few hours. I was running a video through VLC and Twitch while capturing this. The images in my previous post were when my PC was only on for a few minutes. EDIT* - After closing Twitch (in chrome web browser) my CPU temp dropped back down to 50 C within minutes. Once I closed VLC it dropped another few degrees C. 

mm27k5z.jpg

Edited by Trippster, 05 October 2014 - 05:48 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Sorry to be a pest but can you also provide an updated HWMonitor screenshot that is under the same load as the latest Speedfan was, we are getting  more realistic operating temps now, thanks for thinking ahead  :thumbsup:  

The CPU voltage is fine and so not responsible for heating up the processor, the safe max voltage is 1.375V and the Maximum power dissipation is 230.14 Watt, HWMonitor shows that neither have been exceeded, what has been exceeded is the 130 Watt TDP, this is what the manufacturers of heatsinks and cooling fans base the performance of their products on, can I ask if you have checked that the CPU HS and cooling fan are mounted securely and if the veins on the HS itself are free of dust etc.

I will mention that one of the +12V rails on the PSU is bordering on being below the minimum safe permitted level before issues occur, this reading we can double check in your updated HWMonitor screenshot.

For reference I have included a PSU tolerance table below. 

Attached Thumbnails

• PSU tolerance table..jpg

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I haven't done a close inspection of the cpu/hs but I have vacuum and dusted the entire case out a week ago. I intend to remount it with new thermal paste sometime this week. I bought it ~5 years ago and it has only been moved to a new motherboard once about 2 years ago. I do not recall if I redid the paste then or not. 

I will post screenshots under normal load after work this evening. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Please do not use a vacuum for cleaning out the inside of the case, they create static electricity which can ruin all of your hardware by way of electrical discharge.

I strongly suspect that fresh thermal paste was used if you have previously swapped out the CPU as it would have fried long ago if you had not  :thumbsup:

I will look out for an update when I get back from night school at around 9pm UK time.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Here is a comparison with my PC only running iTunes and Twitch.

qomvekj.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Those temps are way too hot and so I would definitely recommend a close inspection of the HS and cooling fan.

The temps and voltages should also be checked in the BIOS as should the CPU Fan speed and thermal cut out setting, do some gaming, restart the computer, access the BIOS and then check the readings, see canned text below;

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Advertisements

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Yes, those temps must be brought down. To be honest, I don't think re-applying the thermal paste will do it, but it certainly won't hurt to try.  Can you remember when those temps began to climb, or when you first noticed it?

If you have cool & quiet or similar feature, make sure that it is operating properly; if the fans do not speed up when the temp climbs, that might be one possibility. Check that it is not turned off in the BIOS, if you have that feature. Are you sure that you checked the fins of the CPU heatsink carefully? It is easy to miss dust buildup there, sometimes it is difficult to see depending on the setup.

Another thing to seriously consider is liquid cooling; you can purchase a unit for the same as a good air cooling heatsink and get far more efficiency plus much more quiet. I switched three years ago and will never go back to air again. Here is a link to Newegg's listing: http://www.newegg.co...N=-1&isNodeId=1

Note the users' reviews.

Edited by ranchhand3, 06 October 2014 - 04:20 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

ranchhand3,

With the exception of the liquid cooling you are repeating most of what has been suggested already, please read the whole topic before posting so as to avoid any repetition, thank you for your understanding.

Trippster,

Some information for you regarding the HWMonitor readings;

CPUTIN = CPU Temperature Index and CPUTIN is different from CoreTemp, CoreTemp is the sensor on the processor while CPUTIN is the MB CPU temp sensor, this would explain why the system is not shutting down when the CPUs thermal sensor normally would, things that can cause this may include a faulty MB sensor, heat transfer from the HS or CPU socket and while less likely a bared wire that is in contact with the MB (this can happen beneath the MB and so cannot be easily spotted).

This is an underlying issue and one that will not be cured by liquid cooling, which btw is not recommended due to the risk of leaks, the additional maintenance involved and the fact that it is not known if your hardware is even compatible with liquid cooling.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

A friend and I attempted to redo the thermal paste last night, however the fan mount had two broken tips. We are not sure if they had been broken from some time, which would explain the hot temps if the fan and heat sink are not making good contact on half the side. But, they may have broke during re-installation. We are going to be installing a new fan/heatsink today or tomorrow and see where that leaves my temperature running at. If that doesn't help I am not sure where to look next. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

A broken/misaligned HS would explain the temps and while not ideal if replacing the HS and having a proper thermal pad or application of TIM resolves the issue then I would be happy tbh, I am quite certain that you would have noticed breaking the cooler mounts.

Some information on TIM here

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Phillpower2..... I see nothing in my post that totally reiterated everything that you posted. The only thing that you may have misunderstood is when I asked the OP at what point he started noticing the sudden spike in CPU temps; that information can be very valuable if he made any system changes, BIOS changes, etc.  Please detail.

Edited by ranchhand3, 07 October 2014 - 05:09 PM.