Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU Temp (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I had to order a new cooling unit online, which will arrive Friday. So I will post back this weekend when I get it installed and have new data. Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,023 posts

No worries Trippster reply when you are able to  :thumbsup:

Ranchand3 it was a polite request and nothing more but fwiw;

Reply #3

Have you made any changes to the thermal shutdown temperature setting in the BIOS.

Reply #6

can I ask if you have checked that the CPU HS and cooling fan are mounted securely and if the veins on the HS itself are free of dust etc.

Reply #10

Those temps are way too hot and so I would definitely recommend a close inspection of the HS and cooling fan.

The temps and voltages should also be checked in the BIOS as should the CPU Fan speed and thermal cut out setting, do some gaming, restart the computer, access the BIOS and then check the readings, see canned text below;

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

No harm done but it is important to show that we do read each post carefully so as not to overlook anything.

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

If you read my post carefully,

Reply #3: I never mentioned anything about the thermal safety shutdown temp. in my posts. Only the Cool & Quiet type feature to check, if his BIOS supports that feature.
Reply#6:  I specified re-checking  (not just checking) the interior of the heatsink fins with good reason; they are difficult to inspect in close quarters, and dust can be rammed toward the bottom of the fins if the poster uses a towel or too soft a brush to attempt cleaning.  while it may be cleaned from the top of the fins. I see this constantly in my shop. There is nothing irregular about asking an OP to recheck something.
Reply #10: Notice how I started my post? "Yes, those temps....".  I was agreeing with you and supporting your opinion in post #9, not trying to add something new. This is common practice in help forums where two responders agree with each other in order to reinforce the point to the OP. I have seen this numerous times in GTG here and I am sure you have also.

Ok, enough. I am not angry or red-faced :laughing:, but I am no newbie to help forums. You have everything under control here and am sure you will find the problem, so I will bow-out of this thread. Wish you and the OP the best!

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I haven't got the new cooling unit in, but to plan ahead what is the next step if the temperature is still the same? Replace PSU? Motherboard? 

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

The new cooling unit is in! 

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far, we have used a tool to peg the CPU at 100%, which only managed to bring the CPU temp up to about 60 C. I also did my trusty Twitch streaming test and it stays at a comfortable 40C. I am going to continue to monitor it over the weekend and see what sort of gaming and streaming activity does to the temp, but so far all signs are looking good. I will post new SpeedFan and HWMonitor screenshots later tonight when my PC has been on for a good amount of time. 

Edit: PC has been on for 6 hours, my various tests still have it under 50C. 

Edited by Trippster, 10 October 2014 - 09:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,023 posts

Good news and a good choice of cooler  :thumbsup:

If you want to really push the CPU download and run IntelBurn Test (free) from here

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

That was one of the tests we ran, didn't pass ~60C. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,023 posts

That is most positive then  :thumbsup:

Are you happy that the issue is now resolved.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I am! Back to gaming in peace. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,023 posts

:cool:  :thumbsup: