Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ghost desktop.ini files and word documents [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
Hi. Yes we will deal with that here. Glad to hear things are running ok. I think that there was a combination of things slowing down your computer, one of which was AVG but previous to that some basic adware but I haven't found evidence of anything serious. We should run some cleanup tools to ensure that there are no left over remnants from the anti virus software.

Step 1

Remove AVG
  • Please download the AVG Removal Tool from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Right click the avg_remover_stf_x64_2015_5501.exe, select run as administrator and follow the prompts
  • Once completed, allow it to restart your PC.
Step 2

Remove Avast
  • Please download the Avast Removal Tool from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Start Windows in Safe Mode
  • Right click the avastclear.exe, select run as administrator and then click remove.
  • Once completed, restart your PC.
Step 3

Protection Software
As we have removed AVG, Anti virus will now need reinstalling.
It is of course your choice which to choose but I would recommend going something else over AVG.
Due to the low system RAM you have available, Microsoft may be a lighter choice for you.

Here are a couple of options for you:

AVAST Antivirus
Microsoft Security Essentials

Advertisements

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

All done,

My laptop seems to be responding a lot quicker now!  :yes:

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Sorry for the delay in responding,weekends get a bit awkward with family life etc.

Good news, it looks like your system is now clean. A good workman cleans up after himself so let's now attend to that :D

Tool Removal

We need to remove the tools we've used during cleaning your machine

• Download Delfix from here
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
    Also tick:
    • Activate UAC
    • Create registry backup
    • Purge system restore
    • Reset System Settings
    delfix-select.png
  • Click Run

The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. Please paste the log in your next reply

We need to uninstall a program

Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.

Select the following programs from the list below, one at a time and click Uninstall.

• ESET Online Scanner

Delete the following Files and Folders (If Present):

C:\Program Files(86)\ESET
SecurityCheck.exe
Setup File for the Aintivirus you installed

Delete any other .bat, .log, .reg, .txt, and any other files created during this process, and left on the desktop and empty the Recycle Bin.

Cryptolocker Warning
Go here for information about CryptoLocker Ransomeware. Learning about what is out there may help prevent infection.
The main thing with this infection here ~ is Backup.
If you're using an external, keep it unplugged to the computer when you're not backing up files or using it.
This will prevent the infection from getting to your backed up files if you ever do come across it.

We suggest users to Download CryptoPrevent free for home use. It will help prevent CryptoLocker

Keep your machine updated

Due to the ever-present tide of malware, it is important to ensure your computer is kept up-to-date to minimize the risk of future infection. An important step is to ensure that automatic updates are enabled.

To enable automatic updates:

Windows 7
To turn on Automatic Updates yourself, follow these steps:

• Click Start, type Windows update in the search box, and then click Windows Update in the Programs list.
  • In the left pane, click Change settings.
  • Select the option that you want.
  • Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates or Include recommended updates when downloading, installing, or notifying me about updates check box, and then click OK.

It is recommended to install an anti-malware to help prevent reinfection.
Below are some free ones that can help keep you clean.

Malwarebytes AntiMalware

As you have installed Malwarebytes, I recommend that you keep this program and use it to help you stay clean.

The free version will scan your computer and fix the problems it finds but will not provide real-time protection. You must scan regularly to find any threats.
Consider purchasing the full version for active monitoring of threats.

Adobe Reader
Adobe Reader is the second most targeted (by malware) common software. If all you ever do with Adobe Reader is view PDF files, then please consider replacing it with a lighter, free PDF reader that is not exploitable. One that we recommend is Sumatra PDF.

To update Adobe Reader:

• Launch your Adobe Reader.
  • Click Help and then click on About Adobe Reader from the menu list.
  • If the version is 11.0.04 then you are up to date. If it is less than this and you are keeping Adobe Reader, you should update to the latest version.
  • The best place to get Adobe Reader is from Adobe (click on Adobe to go there now).
  • Click on Download in the menu bar on top of the Adobe web page.
  • Click on Adobe Reader in the list on the right hand side of the page.
  • On the next page, click on the check mark (to turn it off) beside the option to include the McAfee scanner in the download and install. Make sure the check is NOT marked (this is another example of Foistware).
  • Click the Install Now button and follow the directions on next page.
  • If you are prompted to Save the installer file, choose to save it to your desktop. Once it is saved, right click on the file and select Run as Administrator.
  • When the installation is finished, you can delete the installer file on your desktop.

Update Other Programs

Alongside keeping Windows updated, other programs installed on your computer should also be kept current as they too can introduce security risks.

Filehippo Update Checker will scan your computer for out of date programs and provide download links for the updates. This is worth doing on a regular basis.

Recommended Programs

Unchecky is a small service that runs in the background to help keep those "extra toolbars" and tag along search engines from automatically installing. By automatically directing you to a custom install with all the options unchecked, only what you manually choose and confirm gets installed. CryptoPrevent is a free program that prevents CryptoLocker / ransomware from infecting your PC by locking down the OS so the malware can not get a grip on your system.Web Of Trust is a browser add-on designed to alert the user before interacting with a potentially malicious website. It will highlight green if a site is known to be safe.
Adblock is a firefox browser add-on that blocks annoying banners, pop-ups and video ads.

General Advice

• When browsing the internet, look closely at the links you click on. Some aren't always what they seem
  • Avoid Peer to Peer file sharing utilities, these are a minefield of malware infections.
  • Don't open email attachments unless you are expecting them. Even an email from your best friend can be infected, they might not have sent it.
  • Pay attention when installing a program to your computer, particularly to any check boxes that may appear during installation, it is common for unwanted software to be installed in this way.

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Hi,

Please find DelFix.txt below.

A small piece of advice before you go please? I have followed all your recommendation but I am finding that Unchecky is blocking Filehippo updates.....

# DelFix v10.8 - Logfile created 12/10/2014 at 13:09:19
# Updated 29/07/2014 by Xplode
# Username : Jan - JAN-TOSH
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)

~ Activating UAC ... OK

~ Removing disinfection tools ...

Deleted : C:\FRST
Deleted : C:\AdwCleaner
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Desktop\mbar
Deleted : C:\AdwCleaner[R1].txt
Deleted : C:\AdwCleaner[R2].txt
Deleted : C:\AdwCleaner[R3].txt
Deleted : C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt
Deleted : C:\TDSSKiller.3.0.0.34_20.05.2014_15.27.16_log.txt
Deleted : C:\TDSSKiller.3.0.0.34_20.05.2014_15.28.55_log.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Desktop\Addition.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Desktop\Fixlog.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Desktop\FRST.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Desktop\FRST64.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Desktop\JRT.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Desktop\JRT.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Desktop\log phone number.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Desktop\SecurityCheck.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Downloads\Addition.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Downloads\adwcleaner_3.311.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Downloads\esetsmartinstaller_enu (1).exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Downloads\esetsmartinstaller_enu (2).exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Downloads\esetsmartinstaller_enu (3).exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Downloads\esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Downloads\FRST.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Downloads\OTL.Txt
Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\Downloads\OTL.exe
Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\OldTimer Tools
Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\AdwCleaner

~ Creating registry backup ... OK

~ Cleaning system restore ...

Deleted : RP #386 [Garmin Express | 09/27/2014 14:55:09]
Deleted : RP #387 [avast! antivirus system restore point | 09/27/2014 15:03:06]
Deleted : RP #388 [avast! antivirus system restore point | 09/27/2014 15:05:35]
Deleted : RP #389 [avast! antivirus system restore point | 09/27/2014 15:14:54]
Deleted : RP #390 [avast! antivirus system restore point | 09/27/2014 15:21:06]
Deleted : RP #391 [Installed AVG 2015 | 09/27/2014 15:33:05]
Deleted : RP #392 [Installed AVG 2015 | 09/27/2014 15:36:39]
Deleted : RP #393 [Removed Nero Multimedia Suite 10 Essentials. | 09/28/2014 07:42:55]
Deleted : RP #394 [Windows Update | 10/02/2014 05:22:54]
Deleted : RP #395 [Device Driver Package Install: Tarlogic Network Service | 10/02/2014 17:00:21]
Deleted : RP #396 [Windows Update | 10/10/2014 06:03:08]
Deleted : RP #397 [Removed AVG 2015 | 10/10/2014 17:55:01]
Deleted : RP #398 [Removed AVG 2015 | 10/10/2014 17:58:33]

New restore point created !

########## - EOF - ##########

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

I will have an ask around about this.

I have just tested them both on this laptop(not my own usual PC) and they both have installed and operated correctly.

What exactly is happening and what messages or dialog boxes are you receiving? Screenshots would be helpful if possible.

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

It's not doing it now - only on the first one so it must have just been a glitch that fixed itself.

Sorry!

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
:)

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

It's come up again with - 'Congratulations Unchecky has just prevented the installation of a potentially unwanted programme on your computer' and it has declined FileHippo downloader

Do I have to adjust the settings?

Can't screenshot, it won't paste to this site I'm afraid

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Filehippo downloader is a different program.

Lets double check the link

http://www.filehippo...ker/FHSetup.exe

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Yes, sorry it is the updater not the original programme - got it installed twice now

Advertisements

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hi, just popping to let you know I haven't forgotten you. I am seeking advice on this as I just cannot get it to replicate the issue, so seeing if anyone else has come across this.

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Thank you

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Maybe it is the version, the link I provided is slightly older.

Try uninstalling it and trying version 1.44 from this link http://www.filehippo..._update_checker

I have tested both and neither cause unchecky to report it.

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Sorry for the delay - early start and long day!

I have uninstalled the old and installed the newer version and that seems to have cured it.

My laptop is back to chugging but at least I know it's virus free now!

Thanks for all your help  :spoton:

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

No problem, glad it sorted it for you :D