Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Player acting strange

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
My Plextor PX-L890SA will read CDs but when I throw in a DVD, it says. No disk in drive and to insert a disk and then it ejects the disk from the drive. Is this a normal problem with Win7 x64 Pro?

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

hi Khazarian,

Where exactly are you seeing no disc in drive error?

Is this a blank DVD, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVDRW or a movie or software ? Have you tried more then one DVD ? 

Need more answers not an unusual problem, but could be many reasons why. Bad drives optical reader for DVD. Content on DVD not compatible with a program or DVD Drive.

Take a look here http://support2.micr..._problems/en-us

Edited by jds63, 03 October 2014 - 02:25 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I'll run FixIt tonight. If not successful, then alter the applicable registry entries. Previously I burned files to a dvd-that's when it went south.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Well for one i would not mess with the registry. If you feel comfortable doing this, make sure make a restore point. DVD drives if bad are not expensive these days, unless buying a Blu-Ray burner.

Fix-it only work if it is a Windows OS issue with files or driver.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I always back up my registry before making any changes.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

o.k. hopefully on external device, just in case.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
No regedit manoevres yet but my C:\ drive in device manager says Healthy (System,Boot,Page File,Active,Crash Dump,Primary Partition). It is disk 0 and Basic. My D:\ drive is CD-ROM 0, DVD; LOGICAL VOLUME IDENTIFIER D:\.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

As jd asked, is this only with burned disks or is the issue present with retail DVDs, if you have Windows 7 on a DVD disk what happens if you try that in the drive.

Please note that it is possible for one function to work on a combo drive but not another,this includes that it may burn but not play and vice versa, the same goes for it burning and playing CDs ok but not DVDs and again vice versa DVDs burn and play ok but not CDs.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Diskmanager displays drive C:\ and D:\ as disk 0. What does that mean?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
As jd asked, is this only with burned disks or is the issue present with retail DVDs, if you have Windows 7 on a DVD disk what happens if you try that in the drive.

Can you answer the above question for us.

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

Do the following and take an expanded screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I went to windows troubleshooting and started the process afterwhich media player would then run the dvd video I had in the dvd drive. But D:\ still shows up as Logical Volume Identifier and not a DVD drive. I am adding the screenshot by request. The Win7 DVD won't run from the DVD drive it just gets ejected after it says "NO Disk".

Attached Thumbnails

• discman.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

But is it the same with retail DVDs as in a film on disk purchased from a store, what about any retail games that you may have on DVD.

Please use the steps that I provided for capturing and attaching the expanded screenshot;

Do the following and take an expanded screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Diskmanager displays drive C:\ and D:\ as disk 0. What does that mean?

This is right. I believe it gets marked disk 0 because it is first CD ROM if you had a second CD ROM would be Disk 1, same as with hard drives.

Plus it is seperate area on motherboard connectors, so CDROM is on 0 port on board also.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

After running an installed game and shutting down, I received a BSOD. And then I got tthe desktop background without the destop icons but there was a mouse cursor. Pressing reset got the desktop back up again-with the icons. 

I tested the DVD drive with the Win7 set up disk. I can display the files and induce the installation of Win7. Media Player plays the video dvd with audio-no problem. Ran a burned Win7 install disk and it wants to install windows-windows also displays the files on the disk. So it appears I no longer have that issue I had. Still can't figure out tje volume identifier on the DVD drive. Never saw that before. And what about the string following C:\? That's also unusual.

Attached Thumbnails

• fibonacci.jpg

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Logical Volume identifier has something to do with the disc that is in the DVD Drive at the moment was labeled that way somehow from a program you used to burn it (make it) disc.

Regularly should be blank there if no disc is in the DVD Drive. I can see it says UDF and 2.41GB also for the disc in there. Don't believe anything wrong with drive, but way you burn the disc's and your setting within that program you use.

Not a good thing to get a BSOD, not sure yet what that was about. Strings on the C: drive look normal.

See what PhillPowers thinks too.