Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Player acting strange

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I think I have no further problems related to this post but that could be an erroneous conclusion.

Edited by khazarian, 08 October 2014 - 02:06 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Khazarian,

O.k. so basically when you ran the troubleshooter this was when the problem seemed to be solved. You inquired about things you saw in Disk manangement.

Did receive a BSOD one time, hope all is o.k. there. Thank you for responding back.

Edited by jds63, 07 October 2014 - 05:21 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
The BSOD could've beeen the result of a failure to load optimal default in the bios.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Couldn't get passed the splash screen before seeing a BSOD until I changed some BIOS settings. Now the system is back up and running well.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Meaning it somehow was changed in the bios when you went in it once before. Optimal or default settings. Need more help post back with details.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Well I noticed the Bios was set to STANDARD. Then I changed it XMP and enabled Speed-Step and C-Tech I believe and some other features settings. Set the ram voltage to 1.5v; previously it was on AUTO. The Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool turned up nil problems. DVD player seems to be running normally.

Edited by khazarian, 08 October 2014 - 02:08 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. BIOS is one place have to know what you are changing. Assume you have XMP RAM, Auto would detect the voltage for you . Not sure and familiar about speed-step and C-tech .

Believe had something to do with the BSOD, do not think had to do with DVD Player.

Edited by jds63, 08 October 2014 - 05:41 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Was having mouse pointer issue. The background screen would appear but no desktop and no mouse pointer. Or sometimes just got a BSOD after restart. Then after shutdown I would get a BIOS screen alert saying "Wrong Bios settings" and to reset the date and time.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. i do not want to advise you since i am not too knowledged with working in a BIOS. I would assume to keep it at it's optimal  or default setting. Do not know what other changes you made recently with RAM or other hardware could of caused this issue with BSOD. You can with this issue if it still exists is open a post in a different thread for debugging with BIOS for BSOD. Some here are more knowledged on that type of problem.

Unless you are familiar with something, do not mess with it, until you research it enough or get assistance. My advice.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Ok, I reset bios to optimal default value. It's booting up fine but the only hangup now is that the system is slow to enter hibernation. Requires about 4 minutes, minimum.

Edited by khazarian, 09 October 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

It's hard to say without specifics on the machine and what's running, but more than likely there's either a particular process running or a device driver that doesn't play as well with hibernation in 7. RAM and how much you have also plays a role with Hibernation. Also uses a lot of disk space, how much space you have left can be issue, speed of drive, fragmented.

Look here at this list http://superuser.com...-from-hibernate  Could still be something in BIOS. Happen to update it, not saying to do this, just asking if you did ?

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
System drive is SSD which advice is to never defrag. I have it configured for hibernation if pressed the sleep mode. The sleep button is on my keyboard.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Well then SSD is much faster then a HDD. Yes no defrag. but TRIM it. You mean possibly configured the sleep button to work as a Hibernation button. Because sleep and hibernation are different in ways.

With Hibernation the system powers down. Are you low on space on the SSD ? How much RAM ?

As said could be other factors slowing this down as seen in articles. One i linked an others.

Edited by jds63, 10 October 2014 - 02:11 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I have 8gb of ram and lots of free space on hard drive. The heyboard sleep button forces the system hibernation. I use hibernation because I am away from the computer for several hours each day.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. not questioning why you use Hibernation or not advising you not to. I felt as research shows some other factors could be causing your hibernation to be slow. Have to go step by step on each area listed try to elliminate a possible cause. Seems to be enough RAM and SSD space.