Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whak.com (Am I being deliberately targeted?)

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Geeks,

I have a very weird problem indeed concerning a website I have created which is hosted by Webring.com. I am fascinated by HTML and have taught myself some of the basics, so the Webring site is used to play around with this. The site is admittedly pretty amateurish, although as I am attempting to learn Greek it includes some Greek Verbs pages which I am quite proud of as it took a fair bit of perseverence to discover how to do the HTML for the Greek letters! Each page takes
some time to compile, so I would definitely not want to lose this site (although the pages are, of course, all backed up on my hard drive)! :)

I was recently rather shocked to discover - pretty much by accident - that Google has listed in its search engine two strange sites which at first glance appear to be related to my Webring site. For the purposes of this message, let's say that the address of my website is joeblogs.webring.com (I do not think I should publish the real URL here). That being the case, then the first site I found would be joeblogs.webring.com.whak.com and the second joeblogs-webring-com.is-pretty.com. Both are apparently created via a site called whak.com.

The first is an identical copy of my home page with a few insults flashing up to make it more interesting! :) The effect of the second one is probably somewhat lost as it should really have a person's name, rather than the website name; it just contains some nonsense about the person being pretty etc. I suppose it is good that 'my' page does not include my name..... although rather more worryingly it does include the name of the area in which I live even, though I do not think this information can be found anywhere on my website.

This is obviously all puerile nonsense created by somebody who no doubt has nothing better to do with their time, but I guess it does not actually harm me as such. I am a bit unclear though about whether this is a random thing, or whether I have been deliberately targeted by an individual. I find the idea of the latter prospect somewhat upsetting, especially as they seem to know the area that I come from. As far as I am aware, I do not have any enemies.... so I really cannot think who on earth would do that! :(

I have not been able to find out very much about whak.com, although they do have a Facebook page which gives some information. Does anybody know anything about them and whether there is any way I can get the pages deleted, please?

Thanks in advance for whatever help that anyone might be able to give.
Chris.

Advertisements

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

I've had a look at your site (just back from Kefalonia BTW) and Whak. Looks to me as if somebody has breached Whaks T&Cs.

http://whak.com/bann...geted/rules.asp

To Be A Part Of Our Network, Your Pages May NOT Include:

16 - Other peoples web pages (you must be the administrator/webmaster/controller/owner/operator of the page being submitted).

I would report the abuse to the whak owner Dave Brown

http://www.whak.com/business-card.htm

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Azari,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will do what you suggest. It is freaking me out a bit to think that there is somebody who would do that to my site... I guess the natural thing is to worry in case it is somebody who knows me!

Did you like Kefalonia? We were there too recently.... we came back on 11th September. We had quite a bit of rain when we were there though! :(

Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated.
Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 04 October 2014 - 04:09 AM.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

We were in Fiskardo from the 14th - 21st September. No rain at all.

Love Kephalonia, been before

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Azari,

I emailed Dave Brown from the link you gave me. Guess what: the email bounced back to me! Not sure what to do now! :unsure:

Yes, Kefalonia is such a beautiful place! We stayed in a village near Lixouri this time in an area where a lot of the houses still have damage from the earthquake earlier this year.

Chris.

PS I am trying the gmail address now.

Edited by Channeal, 04 October 2014 - 04:57 AM.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again Azari,

Nope.... the email to the gmail address came back to me too, unfortunately!

Am not liking this very much! :no:

Chris.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

You could try this email:

Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]

That's the hosting company or you could try Mr Brown's facebook page

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hello Azari,

Okay, I will try those. Thanks very much indeed for your help,

Chris.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

I was just wasting time on here and idly looking for other sites that have been 'whaked' like me and found this one: -

http://www.bleepingc...er.com.whak.com

Maybe I don't feel quite so alone now! :)

I wonder if they know about it!!!!

Chris.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

Yeah, there's loads