Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop keyboard issue, registry configuration? (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hi there! I have a Toshiba Satellite P855-S5102. The keyboard and mousepad have quit working. It says "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" We have tried uninstalling  and reimstalling but it says the driver is up to date.

We have an onscreen keyboard but it's a huge, slow pain. Any ideas?

Wasn't sure where to post this, so please feel free to move if necessary. Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello hrsepwrbrat

The registry doesn't get damaged unless there is an outside influence so let`s hope that there is nothing sinister such as malware involved here else you will need the help of the experts over on those forums, I would first suggest that you try a Refresh of Windows 8, this is akin to a System Restore and you will not lose any of your personal data;

To refresh your PC
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. ...
Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap or click Get started.
Follow the instructions on the screen.

Let us know how the Refresh goes.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Last night before I went to bed, I did a system restore. It had updated something on 9/26, and that was the earliest available time that I could reset it to. It ran, and I just got back on to play with it, and I had to open the onscreen keyboard to log in. I'm typing with the physical keyboard right now, so I'm guessing it worked... Strange! My husband did it when it first started and it didn't work. I'll try the refresh thing as well, couldn't hurt right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello hrsepwrbrat,

Glad to hear that you have made progress with the keyboard issue  :)

Regarding the Refresh, honest answer is that if you have not already done the Refresh I would not do so but instead only create a new restore point usings the present working settings that you have now, if you have done the Refresh and things are still all good, create a new restore point and hopefully continue to enjoy trouble free computing.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

So far it's still cooperating. There was a Toshiba update in the mass of Windows updates, and we declined to install that one. Might be the one that corrupted it?

We'll definitely create a fresh restore point. Thanks!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are most welcome and any further problems please feel free to come back here  :thumbsup: