Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

OK, so..

Video isn't cooperating. I will troubleshoot later. However, with the massive success of My virtual Machine... I have decided as a TRIAL run, too dual boot the system. Windows 7 being main (1.5 TB) Win 10 (500 (.5TB) being secondary.

I've tried once, which, failed :(. But I know my mistake and will attempt to fix it soon. Right idea, wrong way.

(Very similar to coding. Got an idea, a million ways to do it, and you did the wrong way lol)

Advertisements

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Second Idea failed... However, I did get 10 running alone. No data was important on 7 so, no hard losses there.

GTX, after drivers and everything are installed will see and display for Windows 10. Everything works, 95% right :).

Notes: There are NO programs ready for Win 10 yet, except Chrome that I know of. All of my security won't work :(, and too boot, I have to go to my BIOS and choose my Hard Disk, which sucks, but oh well. Price to pay, I will get used to that. Much quicker then Windows 7 :)

Edited by Alan1998, 07 October 2014 - 06:27 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

A bit too late for you Alan, however, if you have a spare hard drive, and I have two, one carries the main copy as a clone, the other is a laptop 2.5" however that being SATA same as the rest of my system, can be hooked in as a temporary replacement and Windows 10 installed on that. Cover off the box, power off, pull the SATA data and power leads off the installed drive, hang spare laptop drive on sticky tape, or even make a small bracket to hold it, and connect the SATA leads into it. Then install the ISO from the disk.

Being a retired engineer though, it is an easy job for me.

Nev.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

@Nev. Doesn't matter, Windows crashed majorly and wouldn't boot, just an endless cycle. Had to reformat and put 8 back on anyways. Things work a lot better now too. I don't have to sit here and wait for the BIOS option to load is ready and select it, Windows will do that automatically now. However, when 10 crashed, it converted my GPT partition to MBR, which pissed me off. Easy fix though, Delete it, Shift + F10 > Diskpart > list disk > Select disk 0 > clean > convert gpt > install.

Now, the long lengthy part is downloading the drivers, and all my security again. That, will take a very long time. Already got Avast!, MBAM 2.X, MCShield, Zemena Anti Keylogger. Just need to find a decent standalone Firewall now.

Edit: I've decided to try out Outpost. Never had, heard lots of good things about it. We will see.

Edit 2: Nope, won't install! Grr. Comodo it is I suppose..

Edited by Alan1998, 10 October 2014 - 06:17 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Consider using Macrium Reflect free, as it now has Support for GPT, save yourself all that hard work in the future.  > http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Gday.

Consider using Macrium Reflect free, as it now has Support for GPT, save yourself all that hard work in the future.  > http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx

You ROCK! Thank you! Super program! 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

and where's my +1??? :whistling:

strollin

strollin

• Pip
  • 8 posts

That's a great idea. 

Can you hide the Desktop, as in XP, giving just a blank coloured screen?

Yup.  Works exactly like it did in XP, Vista, 7 & 8.  Right-click on desktop, select "View" then uncheck "Show desktop icons".

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Strollin.

Really good to know, as When taking screenshot, I prefer to have a blank background. 

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

:thumbsup:

and where's my +1??? :whistling:

Ahahaha, +1 given..

Advertisements

IONx64

IONx64

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Is possible to install Win 10 alongside Win 8.1 or 7? If possible how? thanks.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Windows 8.1 is a maybe.. I had issues with dual booting with 7. I wouldn't recommend installing 10 at all until it's fully released.

Edit Reason: Corrected Something :)

Edited by Alan1998, 13 October 2014 - 12:51 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I have W10 TP installed under Oracle VB on two computers. 32 bit on one, 64 bit on the other. Both work very well, no problems of any kind.

Also installed it as a VM under the built in Hyper-V on Windows 8.1.1. Runs good there too.

Also did an upgrade of Windows 8.1.1 on my old Acer 1.6Ghz, 2MB Ram laptop. Runs good there as well. All programs that I used  under 8.1.1 work fine under 10 TP, including:

Office 2007

Seamonkey Web Browser

IrfanView

ImgBurn

GreenShot

MBAM Pro and MBAE Free

Alan1998

Alan1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I have W10 TP installed under Oracle VB on two computers. 32 bit on one, 64 bit on the other. Both work very well, no problems of any kind.

Also installed it as a VM under the built in Hyper-V on Windows 8.1.1. Runs good there too.

Also did an upgrade of Windows 8.1.1 on my old Acer 1.6Ghz, 2MB Ram laptop. Runs good there as well. All programs that I used  under 8.1.1 work fine under 10 TP, including:

Office 2007

Seamonkey Web Browser

IrfanView

ImgBurn

GreenShot

MBAM Pro and MBAE Free

Yah, I noticed some programs like MBAM worked. THat includes FRST, OTL and aswMBR (Which saw Windows 10 as Windows 8.1 LOL)

However, I do NOT want a replay of what happened. I'm not in the mood to being converting, cleaning, formatting hard drives. I might give it a shot in VB again

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Just make sure you have a good image backup of the drive then recovery is 20-30 minutes away.