Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Back up fail -- Check "VSS" and "SPP" applic

• Please log in to reply

Quartz

Quartz

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I am confused as to how to fix this problem in the event logs.  My have partition D: for backups, but somehow there is now nothing on it.  Also, I need to make this partition larger as it was beginning to be too small for the backups. I have a lot of empty space on partition C:, so it won't be a problem to make it smaller.  I am having problems doing this also via Disk Management.  

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit 

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Quartz, 06 October 2014 - 08:58 AM.

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi and welcome back.

There are a few things I will mention first.

The windows own backup system is known to be a bit buggy, mostly we tend to recommend third party backup systems.

The other thing worth considering is that putting a backup onto the same hard drive, even on a different partition is also very risky. If you were to be unfortunate enough to get caught with one of the serious cryptolocker type malwares, they do get into all partitions and encrypt the lot, secondly should the hard drive fail permanently, the backup on the "D" partition isn't much use then.

The best form of backup is on an external hard drive and the backup placed on that external drive can then be in a few different forms, it can be directly copied from files and folders, it can be as incremental images, or a complete image of the entire internal hard drive.

If the external hard drive is only connected for the purpose of making these backups and disconnected afterwards, that is one of the safest methods of being sure you won't lose anything should the worst happen.

We can of course continue and give advice for both trying to sort the existing backup system, and also extend the "D" partition, however I do advise thinking about obtaining an external hard drive instead.

Nev.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thanks for the reply.   I was going to backup on the partition D: as well as on DVD's.  But, the system won't even allow me to backup on DVD's.  I think I somehow corrupted my D: partition.  If I can get it to backup to D:, then I assume I will be able to backup to DVD's.  I intend to buy a hard drive to backup to, provided I can plug it into a USB port.  Is this possible? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Excuse the interjection folks  :)

Quartz;

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Manager + let us know if there is anything on partition D: that you need to try and access.

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Examples of USB devices that can be used for backing up HDDs to here Amazon, Newegg and TigerDirect will be a good source for you in the US if there are no local tech stores.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I hope I did this correctly.  I also need to add more space to D: partition b/c it was getting too small to hold backups, even after deleting previous backups. 

DISK MGMNT.jpg

Edited by Quartz, 15 October 2014 - 10:52 AM.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

It looks as if I have somehow put the "D" on the wrong partition.  It used to come up on the Unallocated section.

Partitions.jpg

Edited by Quartz, 15 October 2014 - 10:58 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

See if EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition is able to recover the partitions for you, full details here

Good luck and let us know how it goes.