Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion with Windows 7 keeps freezing (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries I will be around for a good few hours yet  :thumbsup:

Once all updates have been installed can you take a new screenshot of Disk Manager and attach it to your next reply for us.

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Here's a screen shot of the drives.

The massive windows update failed, so I'm doing a few at a time. Hopefully that works!

eta: ugh! Screenshot is too big and no photo editor. Anyway, it says Local Disc C: 189GB of 450GB free, Recovery D 2.5GB free of 15.3GB, HP Tools E 96.4MB free of 99.0MB

Edited by hrsepwrbrat, 18 October 2014 - 07:26 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Go into your GTG settings, manage attachments and then delete some of your previously uploaded content, that should allow you to upload future attachments.

Back to the task at hand, as suggested earlier, once Windows has been fully updated resize the partition that it is on to around 120GB, this as stated to protect it from being corrupted, you can use a really easy to use (free) software for this called AOMEI Partition Assistant which you can download from here once this has been done upload a new screenshot of Disk Manager for us please.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Ok, looks like I'm going to need some help with the partition.

Here's a screen shot (hopefully) of it. I'm not sure what the * partition means, where it says System. I believe windows is installed on the C drive, which is too big to resize it to 120G?

Sorry for the need to be babysat!

Attached Thumbnails

• disk management screenshot.png

Edited by hrsepwrbrat, 19 October 2014 - 11:54 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Sorry to be a pest but can you swap the screenshot in your reply #34 for an expanded screenshot of Windows Disk Manager, I know that you know how the following is for others that may read your thread  :thumbsup:

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.

Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Attached the new screen shot! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That is easier to double check, thank you  :)

The D: and E: partitions are both surplus to requirements now as they are obsolete, delete/merge the D: and E: partitions and you should then be able to shrink the C: partition to 120GB, the space should then be recognised as unallocated and you can then partition that, you may find it easier if you print off the Partition Assistant instructions.

Is the computer behaving itself with all of the updates now installed.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I deleted the D and E drives. It wouldn't give me the option to merge E.

When I try to resize C, the slider will only let me go to 268.32GB

Should I size it to that?

eta: She has been behaving wonderfully! No freezes, no blue screens. Sometimes it seems a little slow to open up the internet, but it seems to be working. Fan isn't running excessively, it's not getting hot. Yay!

Edited by hrsepwrbrat, 19 October 2014 - 03:32 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Did you format the D: and E: partitions.

268.32GB is large just for Windows but it will do no harm as your husbands most important data can also be kept on the C: partition, just be sure that the amount of free storage space does not get below 67GB.

Glad to hear that the computer is behaving better  :)

The internet connection being slow could possibly be the AV software doing its job.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Well crap. I tried resizing C and it was working on it for a couple of hours, then it popped up with an error.

I'm watching it go from the HP screen to the loading windows screen to a black screen, back to the HP screen etc. for the 4th time. Don't think it's going to actually complete a restart.

I did not format the D and E partitions. Did I miss that step? Dang...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141019_202111.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Apologies for the delay  :(

So Windows is not booting at all now.

It would have been best if the whole HDD had been formatted and then Windows installed, you would then have been given the opportunity to select the partition size.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Is there a way to do that now?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
So Windows is not booting at all now.

You can autonuke the drive with DBan (free) and then do a fresh install, once you have selected your partition size Windows 7 will format that partition again as part of the installation procedure.

Just double checking that you have the windows 7 product key safe/secure.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Yes, the windows key appears to be on the bottom of the laptop. Whew!

Edited by hrsepwrbrat, 22 October 2014 - 05:10 PM.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I autonuked the drive, and am now trying to install windows. This picture is what I get...

The Delete, Format, and Extend buttons are greyed out. When I click on New , it has a box that says Size, then a box to type in, then MB, Apply, Cancel. If i put a number in it, it says "The size must be at most 0MB"

The details are "The selected partition requires at least 8437MB free space. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Attached Thumbnails

• windows.jpg