Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion with Windows 7 keeps freezing (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Ok, I got the puppy working. How cool is that??

It doesn't look like the hard drive is available. The icons on the lower left are sr0, which appears to be the CD drive and sda1, which is the flash drive.

I am currently using my Dell laptop, not sure how to find an adapter, enclosure, or docking station. Are they easy to come by?

I think I'll search online and see if I can find the same drive. I'm sure it's quite a popular computer, but not sure exactly how old it is. 6, 7 years?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

The notebook will accept any brand of HDD up to a 1TB capacity, couple of examples, 1TB here and 500GB here. before making any purchase I would ask a local tech or tech store if they can test the present HDD for you, many will do this for free in the hope of making a sale, some will charge a small fee so please ask first.

HDD adapters and enclosures as mentioned by Nev are a handy tool to have, they allow you to have external HDDs that you can back up to + in situations such as this they can be used to test a HDD, the cable that connects the HDD to the notebook could be faulty so it is important that the HDD is confirmed as being good or bad before making any purchase.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

The Office Depot guys are always bugging me about how they fix computers now. I can see if they'll test my hard drive. :)

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

You are most welcome  :thumbsup:

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

The hard drive wasn't responding at all at Office Depot. It felt like it was going to do something but never did. Dead... so, I got a new hard drive (1 Terabyte!!) and they set it up for me.

Seems to have fixed the issue... LOL

And now I have a huge new drive and a laptop with a keyboard that doesn't make me mad every time I type on it! Woot woot!

Attached Thumbnails

• disk manager.png

Edited by hrsepwrbrat, 02 November 2014 - 04:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

Glad to hear that all is now well and that you are pleased with the 1TB HDD and keyboard  :thumbsup:

While it was a pain in the proverbial, the previous HDD going out could have been worse if you had not of backed up your data first.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Oh absolutely! As soon as I get off my butt,  I'm going to make a backup for this.

We normally use things like CCleaner and Malware Bytes to keep it clean. We have Trend Micro Internet Security for another 100-something days. Do you think these programs are ok or should I use something else?

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

For anyone using a Microsoft OS other than Windows 8 or 8.1 I recommend either Avast (free) or MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) which is also free, a weekly check with with MBAM and TFC (Temporary File Cleaner by OldTimer) which you can get from here CCleaner is also very good but only advanced users should associate themselves with the registry element of the software.

You are welcome  :)

NB: Pity that Office Depot never put Windows on its own partition to protect it, this is something that is normally standard practice unless requested otherwise.