Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion with Windows 7 keeps freezing (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, if you do wish to disassemble to clean it I have now found the service manual and also a Youtube video of doing so.

I also had chance now to read through the previous malware thread hence how I now know the model number. (A lot of reading to do LOL)

Here is the manual as a PDF.

http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01689926.pdf

And here is a Youtube video of dismantling .

If at all unsure of the task, I do recommend leaving it to a qualified technician though. However that is the last resort here on G2G LOL

As for the System recovery options, I will ask you to wait for Phillpower2 to reply, I was only offering help for cleaning in case this is an overheating issue.

Nev.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the additional support Nev  :thumbsup:

At present I would not carry out a factory restore but would suggest that the Ram is removed, the slot blown out and then the Ram replaced, page 54 of the user manual details how to remove the Ram, please note that garage compressors can emit moisture so if you do use it let it run a while first and then check it by blowing it onto a tissue or dry cloth.

Do you have access to a second computer that you could download and burn a Windows 7 ISO on.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Ok, removed the memory and there were 2 chunks of dust on them. No moisture got in.

Started it in normal mode, and immediately got a blue screen.

Yes, I have another laptop that I've been using to post here. As far as I know, the cd/dvd drive works :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Before burning an ISO please see details below;

Can you temporarily disable the auto re-start so that if it blue screens while you are doing the testing you will be able to write down the stop code details for us "how to" below;

Just before the Windows 7 splash screen shown above appears, or just before your PC automatically restarts, press the F8 key to enter Advanced Boot Options.

You should now see the Advanced Boot Options screen.

Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, highlight Disable automatic restart on system failure and press Enter.

After disabling the automatic restart on system failure option, Windows 7 may or may not continue to load depending on what kind of Blue Screen of Death or other major system problem Windows 7 is experiencing.

You may need to do the following in Safe Mode;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

Post here any stop codes that you may receive please.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I guess I hit F8 too late, but got the blue screen. It says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first tie you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0X0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000)

eta: It will no longer allow me to restart it in safe mode. The options are Launch startup repair or Start windows normally. When it loads normally, blue screen.

Edited by hrsepwrbrat, 12 October 2014 - 12:13 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Could be the HDD or Windows may have become corrupt so can I ask whether you would prefer to try the ISO first to try and repair Windows or to test the HDD, the HDD diagnostics tool is designed to stress the HDD and if it is faulty it may fail altogether, below is the ISO details for you to look over;

Windows 7 ISOs from here

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool here

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I'd like to try reinstalling windows first.

I burned the ISOs onto a dvd and the tool onto my flash drive.

Not exactly sure what to do with them!

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Windows 7 should also be on your thumbdrive and not just burned to disk, USB device makes life easier  :thumbsup:

Using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

Before you run the Download Tool, make sure you have purchased the Windows 7 ISO download from Microsoft Store and downloaded the Windows 7 ISO  file to your drive. If you have purchased Windows 7 but have not yet downloaded the ISO file, you can download the ISO file from your Microsoft Store Account.

To make a copy of your Windows 7 ISO file:

1. Click the Windows START button, and click WINDOWS 7 USB/DVD DOWNLOAD TOOL in the ALL PROGRAMS list to open the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.
  2. In the SOURCE FILE box, type the name and path of your Windows 7 ISO file, or click BROWSE and select the file from the OPEN dialog box. Click NEXT.
  3. Select USB DEVICE to create a copy on a USB flash drive or select DVD disk to create a copy on a DVD disk.
  4. If you are copying the file to a USB flash drive, select your USB device in the drop-down list and click BEGIN COPYING. If you are copying the file up to a DVD, click BEGIN BURNING.

When your Windows 7 ISO file is copied to your drive, install Windows 7 by moving to the root folder of your DVD or USB drive, and then double-click Setup.exe.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Ok, so I have the dvd and I have the flash drive plugged into the HP.

My options when I start it are to:
Launch Startup Repair (recommended)

Start Windows Normally.

Starting normally earns a blue screen.

When startup repair starts, it says it's searching for problems. Then it quickly says something like "windows cannot fix these problems. Contact HP" and some other stuff that flashes too fast to read. Then the HP Recovery Manager opens. The options are to microsoft system restore, system recovery, run computer checkup, and contact hp support. And there's a red X.

It doesn't seem like I can get to a point where I can find the drives to access their info. What should I do?

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

From my reply #23

Windows 7 should also be on your thumbdrive and not just burned to disk, USB device makes life easier  xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.7aXFW0A4z_.pn  

You need to transfer the files from the DVD to the thumb drive, restart the computer, access the BIOS, change the boot sequence to USB device first and the HDD second, save and exit the BIOS, shut down the computer, insert the thumb drive into a USB port, restart the computer, follow the on screen prompts, a guide here to follow from step 3 onwards as you already have the download tool on the thumb drive.

Advertisements

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Ok, found a larger drive to install it on, got it installed.

Started the HP with the flash drive, got it to start setup. It asked me if I wanted to upgrade or install a new windows. I chose upgrade and it asked me to remove the device and restart, then reinstall the device to continue the installation. So, I did and as it restarted, it got the blue screen again.

Should I be installing a new windows?

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Yes you need to do a fresh installation, Windows 7 formats the HDD as part of the installation process and all you need to do is allocate it a partition size of around 120GB.

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Ok, I am actually typing this from the HP! woot woot!!

I have the new windows installed, it would not let me use the first partition on the list, kept saying there was not enough room. It's on the second partition. It's downloading 114 windows updates right now, and I've got the Trend anti-virus installed on it.

So far, so good!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That suggests that the original recovery partition is still present, once you have all updates installed and the computer is behaving itself I would get rid of the recovery partition as it is useless and you may as well utilise the storage space.

Did you install Windows to it`s own partition, this is advised to protect the OS from becoming corrupt which is most likely what happened to the previous installation.

Well done for your perseverance btw  :thumbsup:

hrsepwrbrat

hrsepwrbrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Thanks!

It had 4 partitions, wish I would have snapped a pic. The third one was hp recovery, I believe. The fourth I think was some sort of hp tools maybe? Dang it, I knew I wanted to tell you what they were.

The first wouldn't allow me to use, and the second was the largest. Really the only option that I had that would allow me to use. It's installing update 62 of 114, so it'll be a while yet. I'll be back this afternoon later..

Thanks again :)