Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to set upa new (raw) drive as storage (resolved)

Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Tazdrh

Tazdrh

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Hello

I have built a new pc and put in a second hard drive for storage.  the pc sees the drive but it is un usable as of right now. What do I need to do to make the drive usable for storage. I don't want a os on the drive. I am running windows 8.1 pro.

Thank you for your help in the matter. Also hope I posted in the right area.

Thanks

David

aka Tazdrh

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello David,

Is the HDD out of the box new and has it been formatted.

Can you post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager which you can access by pressing the WIN and X keys together on your keyboard, alternatively from Windows 8.1 update you can right-click with the mouse or stylus on the Start button to bring up the menu. 

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Tazdrh

Tazdrh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Yes the Hard drive is brand new out of the box no I have not formatted it I was looking for the format when I right clicked on the drive.

Attached Thumbnails

• disc.jpg
  • disc 1.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

As Phillpower2 is offline I will provide some info.   Your are heading in the right direction. 

Gday 

Please read through this How To,  If there are any steps that are not clear, please post back. 
> https://www.winhelp.us/disk-management-in-windows.html#partitionvista7 

Tazdrh

Tazdrh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Hi iammykyl,

Thank you for your reply. I have that done and formatted. I tried to drag a picture to the f drive and it gives me the  black circle with line through it as if no. How would I use this as storage now?

Thank you for the help in this mater.

David

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome, :thumbsup: .

If you drag a file to drive F: (the root of the drive) the Data will be spread out over the whole of the drive because it has not been confined to a specific place.   You can move a folder to to the drive and would appear as F:/David's car parts(the folder name)   You can then move any file, or another folder to that destination. \

Some info for you.   Please get back to us before making alterations to your system as Phillpower2 may have a different method.  

Consider moving most of your Data to the F drive, Note, this is still just storage, you should also backup your Data.   > http://www.tomshardw...ers-drives.html

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the additional support iammykyl  :thumbsup:

Hello David,

Not one to stand in the way of progress so please continue with the guidance offered by iammykyl, as stated you are going in the correct direction and I would only be repeating what has already been advised.

Tazdrh

Tazdrh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Hello Phillpower2 and iammykyl,

Thank you so much You GUYS are Awesome! You always think what we don't. I did get the drive formatted and created a folder. it all makes since now. I will check into the data link tomorrow as time allows.  I will follow up with you as soon as I can on the data  please bare with me. I work for the University and some days gets crazy.

Thank you

David

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:  Come back after reading and we can sort which folder to move. 

Tazdrh

Tazdrh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

I did read the  infor you advised. Thank you again for all your help.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Glad we could help.  Thank you for your update, much appreciated.

if you don't need further help on this topic?, I will mark it as resolved. 

Tazdrh

Tazdrh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Thank you all for all your help. I don't need no more help in this topic. Thank you for being patient with me. 

David aka Tazdrh

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are very welcome and thank you for updating, I will mark the topic as solved.