Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turning on laptop - stuck on starting Windows screen. Help?

• Please log in to reply

samboo1

samboo1

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I turn it on and it comes to the starting windows screen and then nothing. So I hold the button to restart and it gives me the option to do system restore, which I've tried but this says "attempting to create a restore point" or something for absolutely ages. It says it may take several minutes, but I left it hours and it wasn't doing anything. I can't get onto safe mode either. 

Anyone any advice on how to get by this? I should mention it's not every single time I turn my laptop on. It's happened twice in a fortnight, but I'm scared to turn it off these days since I rely on access to it so much for work. 

Anything would be appreciated, thanks. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello samboo1,

This could be an issue with the hard drive so I suggest that you back up all important data as a priority.

Please provide the brand and model name or number of the notebook and a screenshot of Disk Manager, details for the latter below;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Hello samboo1,

This could be an issue with the hard drive so I suggest that you back up all important data as a priority.

Please provide the brand and model name or number of the notebook and a screenshot of Disk Manager, details for the latter below;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Hi phillpower, thanks for the reply. 

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro. Here's the screenshot.disk manager.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello samboo1,

No obvious issues with the HDD and you have plenty of free storage space available which is a good sign.

I note an external Toshiba HDD in Disk Manager, while the notebook and drive are powered off/disconnected from the wall socket please disconnect this while troubleshooting.

Couple of questions if I may;

Do you have data on the internal HDD that you need to back up.

Do you have a Windows or Toshiba reinstallation disk in case it is needed for repairing Windows.

NB: No need to quote my replies btw  :thumbsup:

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Woops, yep I forgot I had my external connected. Sorry. I do have data on the internal HDD that needs backing up, and I was just doing that now just incase I can't get on again soon, so I'm in the process of doing so!

I don't have a reinstallation disk...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You can download a legitimate ISO from here and either burn it to disk or save it to a USB thumbdrive etc you will also need the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool which you can get from here

If you don`t have or know the product key use The Magical Jelly Bean to find it, write it down, store it safe and share it with no one.

NB: Vista ISOs available if I have the wrong OS, let us know on this once you have completed backing up etc.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Ok so I completed backing up my laptop, then I reformatted it to original factory state. Does this do the same thing as reinstalling the OS? 

I am a little disappointed, because last year I formatted my old Acer which was five years old and when it was done it was running like it was brand new. I was really impressed. But for this laptop it seems to have made no difference and it's still running really badly even though it's back to it's factory state. However, I don't know if it has made any difference to the start up procedure, as it didn't happen enough for me to tell. 

imnio

imnio

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Dear Phillpower2

Hi. My computer is Lenovo G570 with Windows 7. I have the same problem as samboo1. Only that my PC no longer boots up!  :upset:  Is it the end of the world?

Here is what I have tried to no success:

1. Startup Repair (many times by now)

2. System restore (many times by now)

The laptop was running fine till one fine day it stopped booting (just showing the bootup windows flash for tens of minutes). It did boot up once after this when it ran really slow so I cleaned up 50 GB of space. It was still very slow, almost unworkable and sound was not working properly so I restarted that now it will load properly with all the free space - and that was the death knell. It has not started since then. 

I finally went to System Recovery Options > command prompt. Here on C: when I do DIR, I get ""Volume in drive C has no label. Volume Serial Number is ....-...." (I could mkdir a new directory "abc" which it now lists.). C: drive shows no list of folders (except the "abc" I created).

My vendor has not given me a Windows 7 CD. I have critical data on the HD which I cant afford to loose. Grateful if you can provide a way out. 

Regards

Edited by imnio, 10 October 2014 - 01:48 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hello Imnio, please start a new thread and topic of your own, trying to help you and the original poster on this thread will only become confusing for all concerned.

Thanks.

Nev.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Ok so I completed backing up my laptop, then I reformatted it to original factory state. Does this do the same thing as reinstalling the OS? 

I am a little disappointed, because last year I formatted my old Acer which was five years old and when it was done it was running like it was brand new. I was really impressed. But for this laptop it seems to have made no difference and it's still running really badly even though it's back to it's factory state. However, I don't know if it has made any difference to the start up procedure, as it didn't happen enough for me to tell. 

Please explain what it was that you did exactly as in did you use the Toshiba Recovery Partition by holding down the 0 key when restarting the notebook, formatting the HDD is always the last suggestion/resort unless it is blindingly obvious that it is required, you will note from my reply #4 the following;

Do you have a Windows or Toshiba reinstallation disk in case it is needed for repairing Windows.

imnio

Ditto to what Nev has said, Nev or myself will be happy to assist you as will our other colleagues  :thumbsup:

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Hi phillpower. I pressed F8 and then selected something like repair tools, then selected to format my laptop to it's factory state. I've been meaning to do it for ages so I thought I may as well do it now since I've had problems. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
F8 gets you into Safe Mode etc and not the built in Toshiba Recovery Partition, can I ask if Windows has ever been reinstalled on the notebook using a disk or USB device, I ask because your screenshot in reply #3 shows the Recovery Partition to be 100% free.

Below are the steps provided by Toshiba to access the Recovery Partition on your computer, note what I have highlighted in red;

IMPORTANT: The recovery process deletes information stored on the internal storage drive. Be sure to save your work to external media before executing the recovery.

1. Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
  2. Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
  3. Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
  4. On machines with the F key numbers on the top edge of the keys and in White:
    • Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and power up the laptop.
    • Release the 0 (zero) key when the recovery warning screen appears.

On machines with the F key numbers on the bottom edge of the keys and in Gray:
    • Power up the laptop.
    • When the initial TOSHIBA screen displays, press the F12 key to enter the boot menu.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the HDD Recovery option and press the enter key to begin.
  5. The TOSHIBA recovery wizard warning screen appears stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and the original factory software image will be rewritten. If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
  6. After you are sure you have everything you want from the laptop saved, click Yes.
  7. When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens, the default and recommended option is "Recovery of Factory Default Software".
  8. After selecting your desired recovery method, select Next.
  9. On the next screen you may have recovery method options. The default and recommended method is to Recover to Out of Box state.
  10. Select next to continue.
  11. Follow the on screen instructions as you navigate through the system recovery steps.
  12. The laptop will restart multiple times and install the needed components.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Hi phillpower,

Sorry for a really delayed reply. My computer just wouldn't turn on and was stuck on the loading screen. I took it to a friend who is good with computers and left it with him to try and sort out. I think he pretty much did what you said.

Sadly it's really not running well and requires extreme patience. May be time for a new laptop, but I've only had it two years which doesn't seem that long to me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries samboo1, thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Two years is not old at all so I suggest we see what can be done to improve things for you.

I previously asked if Windows has ever been reinstalled, can you answer this for us please, can you also provide an updated screenshot of Disk Manager, to save you  going back to my reply #3

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Security link.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.