Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Understanding Event Viewer

• Please log in to reply

snakingoctopus

snakingoctopus

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi guys,

My first post here, so please be easy on me if I'm not doing something properly? but here goes - 

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone is snooping around in my computer when I am not around. Over the weekend I was out of town and believe someone accessed my PC in this time. I powered off my PC at 4.48 (10.4)         

The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition. (10/4/2014 4:48:30 AM)

But then, I notice the following system event in Event Viewer is - 

The operating system is shutting down at system time ‎2014‎-‎10‎-‎03T18:48:31.375456000Z. (10/5/2014 1:57:34 AM)

Followed by,

The operating system started at system time ‎2014‎-‎10‎-‎04T15:57:34.125599300Z. (10/5/2014 1:57:34 AM)

and then, 

File System Filter 'FileInfo' (6.1, ‎2009‎-‎07‎-‎14T09:34:25.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager. (10/5/2014 1:57:34 AM)

and so forth. 

Before I approach the suspected person could you please advise me as to what these entries actually signify. Do these simply indicate a shutdown and then startup of the computer? Do they indicate a login to my profile? If not, is there a way I can find this out? It seems pretty clear to me but I don't want to make a fool of myself in making any presumptions.

Thankyou kindly

Advertisements

snakingoctopus

snakingoctopus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Anybody?