Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista really slow

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Hello,

I can only imagine how many people need help by the ever-helpful people at Geeks To Go.

I really need assistance. My home PC is down. Saturday will be my last day at work - and using their computers. 29 years and downsizing got me. I'm 60 and REALLY need my home PC in my job searching!

I am working everyday so I'll try to check before I go to work or maybe in the evenings.

I really don't want to spend money on buying a new computer. I really need to fix this one - this week.

Thank you for your time and help.

bamakodaker

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Sorry.

I lost track of you. I did confer with an expert. Let put something together for you asap.

Thanks
Joe :)

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello,

Are you still with me ?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I am still here and still waiting! :-)

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello,

Here's the instructions. The ISO file has been sent to you via PM. Look at the top of the forum you will discover you have 1 Message from me that will be the Vista32RC.ISO ISO File download that to the desktop.

Download the following three programmes to your desktop :

1. Rufus

2. Farbar Recovery Scan Tool32Bit

3. Download the Vista32RC.ISO File, that download has been sent to you via PM, open the pm and download it to the desktop.

Then

Insert the USB stick Then run Rufus
rufus.JPG
Select the ISO file on the desktop via the ISO icon.

Press Start Burn
RufusISO.JPG
Then copy FRST to the same USB

frstwintoboot.JPG

Insert the USB into the sick computer and start the computer. First ensuring that the system is set to boot from USB
Note: If you are not sure how to do that follow the instructions Here

Windows 7 and Vista screenshots

When you reboot you will see this.
Click repair my computer
RepairVista_7275.jpg

Select your operating system
RepairVista_7277202.jpg

Select Command prompt
RepairVista_7277.jpg

At the command prompt type the following :

notepad and press Enter.
The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
In the command window type e:\frst64.exe or e:\frst.exe dependant on system
and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
The tool will start to run.
When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
frst.JPG
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

(The frustrations of changes at work are over. I've been downsized. I really need my home PC working. I should have some time to work on it now.)

I do greatly appreciate time, suggestions and assistance! :)

Phooey! I just lost the long post I had written here! It wouldn't post! :(

Anyway - I'll need to be walked thru this please.

Wondered if those 3 programs - FRST.exe , rufus-1.4.12.exe , vista32 rc.iso - have to be on blank USB stick or if that matters.

I tried using the how-to-boot-from-a-cd-or-usb-drive-on-any-pc instructions and it didn't work. It made no difference on how my computer started anyway.

Then I noticed your instructions were a little different so I thought I'd try your way. I didn't get far. I stopped at - Insert the USB stick Then run Rufus.

With Rufus on desktop, I open it and it goes to a text page that looks like DOS

Now what?

Oh - in case this makes a difference. My computer memory was low so I have a blank USB stick serving as additional memory space. Would that affect anything when I insert 2nd USB stick and try to reboot with these 3 programs on the 2nd USB?

bamakodaker

Edited by bamakodaker, 17 November 2014 - 10:13 AM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello,

Wondered if those 3 programs - FRST.exe , rufus-1.4.12.exe , vista32 rc.iso - have to be on blank USB stick or if that matters.

Rufus stays on the desktop on the borrowed Laptop. Leave Rufus there that's his home an primary position.

About the blank USB, That USB is going to have to be at least 120Megabytes free to put the ISO File on it. I would suggest getting rid of any other data on it and start fresh. We have enough going on here as it is.

Remember all Rufus is doing for us is moving the ISO FILE that you have on the desktop to the USB stick CONNECTED to the borrowed Laptop and that USB will need to have at least 120MB of free space to accommodate the size of the ISO File you downloaded to the desktop on the borrowed Laptop.

In review

First of all you downloaded all 3 programs "to" the borrowed Laptop that you're using to post with.
  • Rufus
  • 32 Bit FRST
  • The Vista rc32Bit ISO File
So everything is in place and ready to go, the computer is waiting for correct instruction from you.
Now Insert the USB that we you will use into the borrowed computer, I'd wait for it to be recognized by the computer and make sure you can see it in Mycomputer and Note the drive letter that windows assigned to it, usually the letter "E"

next

All 3 programs should the desktop on the borrowed Laptop

You inserted the USB, it has at least 120MB of free space, and you noted the drive letter.

Next

Where's Rufus we need him now, and you have to tell him what to do.

Rufus should be on the desktop, right click Rufus and run as administrator.

Now Rufus wants something from you, he wants the ISO FILE so he can move it to the USB stick that you plugged in with a 120MB FREE space

Inside the Rufus program is a place to select ISO file, please review the prior instructions and pictures provided, look at Rufus closely you can see the arrow for ISO FILE selection, it's like a drop down menu.

Once the ISO FILE is on the USB all we need to do is copy FRST to the same USB.

Let me know how you get along here, re read all the instructions and look at all pictures and become familiar with it.

Joe

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

No difference. Same as last time. When I open Rufus all that happens is a small window opens full of what appears to be DOS language.

bamakodaker

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Re-download rufus. --> http://rufus.akeo.ie/ See if that helps you.

Thanks
Joe :)

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

What appears to be the link >>DOWNLOAD<<  does not work. I'm clicking on the Rufus 1.4.12 underneath.

DOH!!! I'm not on a PC laptop!!! I am so sorry I did not mention that earlier! No wonder Rufus is working! :(

The computer I'm needing to repair is a PC. The laptop I'm using is not a PC.

Now what to do!

bamakodaker

Edited by bamakodaker, 17 November 2014 - 10:38 PM.

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

DOHHH 

The computer I need to repair is a PC.

The laptop I'm using is not a PC.

No wonder the problems with Rufus! :(

Now what?

bamakodaker

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Not to worry, I have a lot of those stories.

Now that Rufus is open, look at it close

rufus_en_zpse4d673c8.png

See where it says Create bootable disk down towards bottom, click on the arrow a drop down box appears, click on ISO, then on the desktop double click the ISO File.

Let me know if you get that far, keep referring back to prior instructions and pictures too.

Joe

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Excuse me. I apologize.

Rufus will NOT open. When I try to open it - it just looks like a text document full of DOS language. 

That's all I've seen. It does not open to look like the image you show.

bamakodaker

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
The only thing I can suggest is to redownload it or try to right click on Rufus then choose "Run as administrator" It does sound like a download problem though.

Here's the download for rufus click link below.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I am opening these Rufus files on the desktop of a Mac. A text program opens the files. No where do I see the option to open as Administrator. I know of no advancement I can make.

bamakodaker