Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer's Usb's are not recognizing my drives!

windowsxp xp XP USB

• Please log in to reply

kuma781

kuma781

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Hello friends,

Recently my computer has not been recognizing or powering my usb devices. It works with keyboards, mice and thumb drives.

I think i updated a driver and its freaking it out. Also my computer is not powering down. It stays on all night and when I try to log back on it freezes.

Can you help me?

Bryan

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Bryan,

Recently my computer has not been recognizing or powering my usb devices. It works with keyboards, mice and thumb drives.

So are you talking about USB external hard drives in your topic title.

I think i updated a driver and its freaking it out

Have you tried booting in to Safe Mode.

Also my computer is not powering down. It stays on all night and when I try to log back on it freezes

When you log off/shut down does the screen hang at the "Shutting Down" stage or does the screen go black but the fans etc continue to run.

More questions to be asked once we have your update  :thumbsup:

kuma781

kuma781

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Hello Bryan,

So are you talking about USB external hard drives in your topic title.

I think i updated a driver and its freaking it out

Have you tried booting in to Safe Mode.

Also my computer is not powering down. It stays on all night and when I try to log back on it freezes

When you log off/shut down does the screen hang at the "Shutting Down" stage or does the screen go black but the fans etc continue to run.

More questions to be asked once we have your update  :thumbsup:

Thanks for your quick response!

Yes the hard drive is external. BUT it still dosent read alot of my other USB devices. Not sure what safe mode would do for that.

I have the power options set to turn off monitors after 10 minutes and hard drives after 45. It used to power down. Now that dosent work work. It does not go to "sleep".

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Please fully answer the above question, as the information may help to determine if this is a Windows/software problem or a power/hardware problem.

What type of other USB devices cannot be read, you have said "It works with keyboards, mice and thumb drives." and thumb drives are the only one of the 3 devices that contain data that can be read, the common factor with the three items is that they have very low power requirements, unlike other USB devices such as external CD/DVD drives and HDDs etc.

You said that you thought the computer was freaking out after a driver update, starting Windows in Safe Mode only installs the bare minimum of Windows generic drivers and so if a third party driver is causing the issue it will not happen in Safe Mode as the rogue driver will not have been installed.

There is no need to quote my replies btw  :thumbsup: 

kuma781

kuma781

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Thanks again for the response.

It does fully shut down when I tell it to. However it dosent sleep when inactive.

I rebooted in safe mode. It installed my usb drivers, they worked. The next day. It all went back to the same thing.

Its not recognizing my powered drives like my usb harddrive, my midi devices and my phone. It does detect thumb drives.