Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this decent for building my first desktop?

• Please log in to reply

SparkOfDeath

SparkOfDeath

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey there, 
For my 21st birthday I've been given the chance to choose a beastly desktop computer that doesn't push far beyond £1000. I would mainly use the computer for video editing (After Effects heavy work) and gaming.

I know that building it is the best option, though I doubt I could actually build a computer with my own hands. I had a go at making this list of parts, I just wanted peoples opinions?

It all adds up to £1,143.00

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, XFIRE/SLI
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk
1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler (£29)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
DUAL-BAND WIRELESS 802.11N 450Mbps PCI-E CARD (£28)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    SparkOfDeath

Not a bad list of parts but a couple of things I need to mention, they are not criticisms but pointers to help make sure that you get the performance that you need and at the best price. 

8GB modules of Ram can be problematic and having a single stick puts you at risk of not having a working computer should the Ram fail, the video editing software that you use now and that you may advance to in the future also needs to be considered, let us know what editing software is and will be involved so that we can take a look, if you only need 8GB now I would suggest 2 X 4GB sticks.

The 550W PSU could do with upgrading to something with a higher output, this will allow for adding additional storage devices in the future as your video editing library grows, 600 - 650W will suffice.

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-009862.htm

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

I see you mentioned Adobe AE, have you used it?  If you have a copy, what version please?

Some additional info indicated by Phillpower2, re. memory and video editing, can be found here, > http://ppbm7.com/ind...p/tweakers-page