Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After booting, desktop freezing.

• Please log in to reply

Zarina_00

Zarina_00

• Pip
  • 6 posts
This is similar to the question already posed by someone else but I am unable to get into safemode by using the F8 function. I am aslo unable to do anything on the desktop except move the eggtimer about (PC is not doing anything). If I could I would use MSCONFIG to go into safe mode and re-start the PC. It just hangs and hangs.

A friend says it is a software probelm becuase it was working before hand. I loaded up Norton which was fine and ZoneAlarm and then I stupidly decided to test the e-trust anti-virus programme which was pre-installed on the pc. XP2 was preloaded.

What is wrong with my PC. Have got a virus ? I am baffled, never had this problem before.

Edited by Zarina_00, 11 June 2005 - 07:21 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you boot the PC, do you keep tapping the F8 key right after the beep until you get the options screen.

Do you have the XP CD

Edited by Keith, 11 June 2005 - 07:29 AM.

Zarina_00

Zarina_00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No XP CD.

I have tried clicking F8 but I don't hear any clicking.

I can get to the boot menu but I am unable to use the enter key,arrow keys so I can't expand and go into submenus.

I can get into the bios menu but the recovery CD doesn't seem to work even after I change boot up from the DVD ROM. I am stuck not sure what I can do other than ring the manufacturer.

Thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate it. :-)

Edited by Zarina_00, 11 June 2005 - 07:39 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the keyboard plugged in OK, maybe remove the plug then re-insert, if it is cordless, check the batteries and the connect button

Edited by Keith, 11 June 2005 - 07:42 AM.

Zarina_00

Zarina_00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Battries are fine becuase I am able to select the submenu and use arrow keys in the BIOS menu.

The mouse light is on so i know they work and re-tested the keyboard ones too.

Edited by Zarina_00, 11 June 2005 - 07:49 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When it loads to desktop, can you right click the taskbar then click task manager then click to end the processes for e-trust

Zarina_00

Zarina_00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have tried doing that but it won't come up. ( pressing CTRL ALT DEL altogether ) the computer is 'busy' and it won't allow me to open up anything ( have managed to click run, then type MSCONFIG yesterday but then it froze before I could select safemode) but not today.

My screen saver is half loaded each time.

The only icon i can see in the tray is quicktime. Sometimes there is a few programmes at other times none. This time e-trust didn't even start up.

Does it sound like a software glitch or a virus to you?

Just restarted it again and this time the startup keys and taskbar and clock have all vanished.

Edited by Zarina_00, 11 June 2005 - 08:00 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get anywhere with the recovery CD loaded and tapping the enter key as soon as you boot the PC

Can you click start, run, type msconfig

Zarina_00

Zarina_00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I didnt get far with the recovery CD - tried several times. I tried clicking F10 to select recovery that doesn't work either.

So far today I have been unable to even click on the startup menu forget typing anything (the pointer is an eggtimer still and not an arrow)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not going to be easy until you can get it to run in safe mode, or get the recovery CD to run

If when you get the options, you can select safe mode with command prompt, you can do this

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

If the PC is under warranty, speak with the supplier

Zarina_00

Zarina_00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I will be speaking to the supplier on Monday when they open.

Thank you for all your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well