Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen Error Code d1 (Resolved)

blue screen error code crash

• Please log in to reply

bainyyyy

bainyyyy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi guys,

So I've had my Pavilion DM1 for about 4 months now. Got a Samsung EVO SSD installed, upgraded the memory to 8GB and downgrade from Windows 8 to 7.

About 2 months ago, I got a blue screen error. At first they all said DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Then it switched to SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXEMPTION. Then it done quite a few other strange ones, but not its back to the D1 error. 

I've had about 18 blue screens now, most often they occur when I'm trying to use the bbc iplayer or load a page on chrome. My windows and screen also flickers like mad. If i have about 6 pdfs (and other things) open, and I  switch windows, win7 will struggle, likely fail, to bring the window I've clicked to switch to to the front. Often, this will make many open windows on the screen jitter and I have to wait anything from 10-40s for it to stop.

I'm quite sure its a driver error which I'm surprised at because I don't remember updating any drivers. 

I was thinking it was something wrong with my video driver, so I uninstalled all of the video drivers, restarted windows in safe mode used Driver Sweeper to remove all traces of the AMD graphics, and completely reinstalled. However, it has not done the trick. 

When I started windows in safe mode, and opened lots of windows, I was able to switch them fine, no jittering, everything fine and dandy.
However, even when I started windows normally after UNINSTALLING the AMD Raedon 7340 Graphics, the windows still jittered about the place a little. Not as bad as previously, but it was still there.

I also disabled Windows aero, thinking my graphics card couldn't handle it but it even does it with aero disabled. Even when I have multiple windows open and try to switch windows, and it jitters, my CPU is commonly running at less than 50% and the memory always has about 3GB available, so its not a hardware problem.

So I was wondering if its maybe a problem with the integrated graphics with the processor. I'm really not sure but. Any help would be magical.

Have a great day!!

Many thanks, 

Ryan

(I've attached screenshots of the dump files below 1) The most recent one was caused by Driver_IRQL issue 2) the one caused by "discache.sys" file doens't highlight a file to show what caused the crash 3) majority of blue screens caused by the system service blue screen. I've attached three out of them all as it accounts for all the crashes as the "ntosknrl.exe" file causes all the crashes (except the "discachesys", still not sure what caused that).

Attached Thumbnails

• Driver_IRQL blue screen.png
  • odd one out - caused by discachesys.png
  • system service blue screen.png

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:    bainyyyy,

Before suggesting anything can I ask what type of media was used to install Windows 7 and was the SSD out of the box new.

RE: The graphics chip, it is not a gaming GPU by any means but it is more than capable of what you are asking of it, this is proven by having no problems when in Safe Mode which does suggest driver conflicts.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

bainyyyy

bainyyyy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thanks for the welcome phillpower2. And thanks for getting back to me.

The SSD was brand new and Windows 7 was also purchased new and installed. Oh and I've followed the post!

Have a good day.

Ryan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello bainyyyy,

Good that the SSD and Windows 7 were both new however when I asked what type of media was used I was asking if it was on disk or a downloaded ISO etc, can you tell us which please.

To see if we can identify any driver conflicts please refer to the copy/paste details below provided courtesy of jcgriff2  :thumbsup: 

1. Create a Windows System Restore Point -

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8/ 8.1 - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows*8) | HP® Support

2. Run Driver Verifier -

Windows 7 & Vista - START | type verifier 
Windows 8.1 & 8 - Press WIN +X keys | select "Command Prompt (Admin)" | type verifier 

Make these selections - 

1. Select 2nd option - Create custom settings (for code developers)
2. Select 2nd option - Select individual settings from a full list

3. Check these boxes -

▪ Special Pool 
▪ Pool Tracking 
▪ Force IRQL checking
▪ Deadlock Detection
▪ Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
▪ Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)
▪ DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8) 
▪ Miscellaneous Checks

4. Select last option - Select driver names from a list
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish 
8. Re-boot
[/HIDE]

- If the Driver Verifier (DV) finds a violation, it will result in a BSOD

- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows

... • Boot into SAFEMODE - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up

... • Select "System Restore"

... • Choose the restore point that you created in step #1

- For Driver Verifier status

--- select last option, 1st screen -or-

--- type verifier /query (in a cmd/DOS screen)

- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset then re-boot

- The Driver Verifier needs to run as long as possible - even if the status screen appears clear.

- All future BSOD dumps must be VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMPs - otherwise the dump(s) are of no use

If your system does BSOD while the Driver Verifier is running, please retrieve the dump file from c:\windows\minidump and attach it to your next reply.

Please note that a BSOD of does not always instantly occur and that DV may need to be allowed to run for up to 72hrs of normal computer use, the computer can be shut down as normal and system performance will not be affected.

You are welcome btw  :)

bainyyyy

bainyyyy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Well it took quite a while, but finally it just crashed and blue screened.

I had it running for about 4 days (not straight usage though) so I'm confident it fell within the 72 hours of usage remit time. 

I've just checked the status, I've still running now.

However, i do not know where to find the "VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMP". Its not in the windows folder minidump folder. 

Any ideas where to find it? Or is there not one?

Sorry again for the lateness of the reply, it did take quite a while to happen.

Oh, and it was an ISO of windows 7

Have a good day. 

Best,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Was there any on screen message and what sort of load was the computer under with this latest crash.

ISO details acknowledged, was Windows 7 installed in UEFI mode.

Have  you checked that crash dumps are enabled;

1. Click Start then Control Panel 
2. Double-click System.
3. Click (Advanced system settings link in Windows 7, then --->)the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
4. Make sure, there is a checkmark in Write an event to the system log.
5. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k)

Can you also temporarily disable the auto re-start so that if it blue screens while you are doing the testing you will be able to write down the stop code details for us "how to" below;

Just before the Windows 7 splash screen shown above appears, or just before your PC automatically restarts, press the F8 key to enter Advanced Boot Options.

You should now see the Advanced Boot Options screen as shown in the attached .jpeg below.

Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, highlight Disable automatic restart on system failure and press Enter.

After disabling the automatic restart on system failure option, Windows 7 may or may not continue to load depending on what kind of Blue Screen of Death or other major system problem Windows 7 is experiencing.

Post any stop codes that you may receive please.

bainyyyy

bainyyyy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi again,

So I had kernel dump selected rather than in "Small memory dump (64k). Even still, the dump file created with that option selected is identical to the previous dump files. Still can't find any verifier dump files; and yes, its still running.

So I just got it to blue screen there and here's the info:

System_service_exemption

Stop codes: 0x0000003B (0x00000000C0000005, 0xFFFFF8800169556B, 0xFFFFF88008719890, 0x0000000000000000)

Many thanks,

bainyyyy

bainyyyy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Just an update: turned my laptop on today i.e. resuming windows, and I got blue screened as i got to the login screen. This hasn't ever happened before.

Got an "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error and the following error codes 

0X0000000A (0XFFFFFA80278330F0, 0X0000000000000002, 0X0000000000000001, 0XFFF8000413BCB6)

Just a little update.

Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
ISO details acknowledged, was Windows 7 installed in UEFI mode.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

bainyyyy

bainyyyy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Apologises, yes it was installed in uefi mode

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

See if you can download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here

NB: If the issue only began after the Ram was upgraded try removing the new Ram and then testing, if the issue is still present, remove the old Ram and then try testing with only the new Ram fitted.

bainyyyy

bainyyyy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi,

So here's the speccy link: http://speccy.pirifo...ZnGRevboZwUOol7

As I tried to run speccy the first time, I got a unique blue screen

"No specific error

A device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on he kernel stack must be replaced with a working version

Stop: 0x000000C4 (0x0000000000000081, 0xFFFFFA80071508D0, 0x000000000000008A, 0x0000000000000000)

The address in stack for the blue screen is also unique, as its different to all the other blue screens - see attached 

I installed the RAM a few months back a couple of weeks after I got it. I don't think it happened straight after that if I'm honest. I can't remember what it was like before the new RAM was installed, as I ever really used it until I upgraded it to 8GB.

I hope all this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• New blue screen.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the url  :thumbsup:

First of all please disable SlimDrivers start up;

1. Open SlimDrivers
2. Click the Options button at the top of the window
3. Uncheck the box for "Run at Windows startup"
4. Click Save
5. Reboot the computer, test and post back with an update for us.

Next, try an alternative method for crash dumps;

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings (or Startup and Recovery).
Under write debugging information select full memory dump. 

Finally try an alternative anti virus to the known problematic AVG, AVG uninstaller tool here install Avast free from here

bainyyyy

bainyyyy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Ok I'm in the process of doing that now. Unfortunately I don't have a full memory dump option. Only kernel dump and small memory dump...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

With your next update can you let us know from where you obtained your ISO (MS store/download etc) and if it was burned to disk or downloaded to a thumbdrive.

Going offline now as it is getting late and I have an early start tomorrow  :(