Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Xp boot up problem!please help

• Please log in to reply

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
OK, Hers my problem.

MY story starts out, I left my computer on over the weekend(i always do this for my computer is like a TIVO)
so i come back and i see all these open windows and i start clicking out but everything going really slow and not responseing. So i did a really dumb thing. i pushed the power butten for about 10 secounds to turn it off.Then it starts to boot up, and i see this new screen saying like all this stuff about the hard drive and the staus of it being bad, and it gives me the opinion to push F1 for setup(BIOS) or F2 to continue so when i push F2 its stars to boot up "normal" till at gets to the screen where it says WINDOWS and has the thing showing its loading, and it just stays there.But something it goes to this new screen where it says that"windows need to check drive for errors. So i letn that fun and like it says its done after a while but nothing happens. This is where im lost.

I know my drive is still there cause i can boot with a cd of Knoppix. I called tech support and there just like "so.............ah..........hmm..........we'll send you a new hard drive". which would be fine but i have so much important stuff on there. Like i cant even tell you, like all my family pic. premiere pro project.please im only 15.

Advertisements

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Also i was wondering if i could do a clean install of windows and just got back to a system restore piont?

right now im useing knoppix to get online and whatnot.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

You could boot with your XP cd and run the "repair" option..

You will have to re-install all critical updates, etc but it won't hurt your personal files..

Murray

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I dont have an XP boot disc nor did i make one. I bought this machine with windows already install?

Is there a way i could get one?

Thanks,

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
If tech support are willing to send you a new hard drive accept it, install it as Master and your current one as Slave and you should be able to access your files.

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I called they said they would but i would have to send in my "messed up" one. i have the cityadvantage plan.
I told them that i really needed those files, and the guys said we arent reponseiltbe for any lost data.

Edited by Chuckfoo, 11 June 2005 - 10:52 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Les:

I would suspect the company is going to RMA the old one..

Chuck:

The company you purchased the system from should be able to provide you with a cd..

Murray

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I been reading around and people are saying that that S.M.A.R.T. mean my hard drive failed?
If so can i still get that data cause i can se most of the files when i boot with knoppix?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
That can simply mean you have some bad sectors on your hdd.. or, it can meean the hdd is over the hill!!

Can you copy the data using Knoppix to a floppy or burn it to a cd-r/rw??

Murray

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes, useing knoppix i can copy data, but there is a large amount of data that needs to by back-uped. And when i was burning a dvd-r it would go at a speed of .37x. In knoppix i can see all my file, its hard for me to beleave that my hdd is dead or soon to be but.......... Is the anyway in knoppix or any other boot disc to load up system restore, or is that not possilby.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Try THIS Microsoft fix..

Murray

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I dont get those error messages but i'll try it. I still dont have a windows setup disc?
Is there anything else i could try cause its going to take a while for that to come.

Thanks,

Edited by Chuckfoo, 14 June 2005 - 02:16 PM.