Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disable Desktop Cleanup Wizard

Instructions dont work

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I'm sick of desktop icons being moved or disappearing altogether on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop..

I Googled the problem and got this link: http://www.windowsho...izard-Windows-7

How to turn off the desktop cleanup wizard in Windows 7

1.             Login using an account  using an account that has administrative privileges.

2.             Click on Start and enter "gpedit.msc" into the "search program and files" box and press enter.

3.             In the left hand pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, expand User Configuration ->Administrative Templates.

4.             Click on Desktop. (make sure you click the Desktop folder rather than expanding it!).

5.             In the right hand pane, locate and double click on an entry "Remove the Desktop Cleanup Wizard".

6.             Click on the "Enabled" option.

7.             click the OK button.

These instructions do NOT work for my laptop.

I enter the gpedit.msc in "Run" [see attached Capture1]  and I get this: [see Capture2]

Any suggestions Please?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture1.JPG
  • Capture2.JPG

Advertisements

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

The policy editor is only available in Professional, Ultimate, and Enterpise editions. It's not installed in home editions but you can install it - see here

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

The policy editor is only available in Professional, Ultimate, and Enterpise editions. It's not installed in home editions but you can install it - see here

Many thanks azarl, I'll give that a go later.  :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Try the Microsoft fix for this know issue. > http://support2.micr....com/kb/2642357

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Give this a try: System Maintenance Troubleshooter - Turn On or Off

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please be aware System Maintenance performs other tasks, OK for a temp fix.  

• Broken shortcuts - Broken shortcuts are invalid references to programs and other resources. For example, a desktop shortcut for a USB device may be regarded as broken if the USB device is not connected when the System Maintenance troubleshooter performs its maintenance. When there are more than 4 broken shortcuts on the desktop, then all broken shortcuts on the desktop are removed.
  • Troubleshooting history is taking up disk space - Frees up disk space by removing troubleshooting history logs older than 1 month.
  • System time is incorrectly set - Sets the correct system time and synchronize system clock with the time server. When the system time is set incorrectly, features that rely on time measurement such as Product Activation, malware scanners, browser certificates, etc... might not work correctly.
  • Unused desktop icons - Icons and shortcuts on the desktop that have been unused in 3 months are removed.
  • Disk volume errors - Frees up disk space by repairing hard disk volume errors such as bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files and directory errors. These problems can cause the file system to report incorrect volume details and occupy excessive disk space.
  • Error reports are taking up disk space - Frees up disk space by removing error reports and logs older than 1 month.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Gday.

Try the Microsoft fix for this know issue. > http://support2.micr....com/kb/2642357

I checked this out, but it doesn't really apply to my issue thanks.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I'm already on Recommended settings thanks.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I just want to switch off whatever's necessary in order to stop MY desktop being rearranged and meddled with WITHOUT my permission.

If I choose to remove an icon, shortcut or whatever from my desktop I will. I do NOT want microsoft deciding for me! Whose computer is it, mine or microsofts!

Surely it is possible to remove the decision from microsoft and leave ME to decide what to delete or move?

You wouldn't let a house removal company into YOUR house and let THEM decide what to take or leave would you!  :angry: 

The desktop should have a "lock" facility - that YOU can enable or disable - to allow this sort of thing.

I decide where I want to position items on MY desktop and what to keep or remove.

If no such "lock" exists then it's time someone created one.

Sadly I do not have the skills to do so myself.  :(

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, which version of Windows 7 are you using, is it the home premium?

Secondly have you tried the method to install the group policy editor as suggested by Azarl?

I am running Windows 7 professional and have never see any desktop icon move or disappear, the desktop clean up wizard has never shown up. (It used to be pain in XP though) so I am surprised it is happening to you, are you sure it is that at fault and not something else causing this, such as some odd form of malware perhaps?

Nev.

Advertisements

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi, which version of Windows 7 are you using, is it the home premium?

Secondly have you tried the method to install the group policy editor as suggested by Azarl?

I am running Windows 7 professional and have never see any desktop icon move or disappear, the desktop clean up wizard has never shown up. (It used to be pain in XP though) so I am surprised it is happening to you, are you sure it is that at fault and not something else causing this, such as some odd form of malware perhaps?

Nev.

Hi Nev,

I use Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium Service Pack 1.

I have not as yet followed Azarl's suggestion for a couple of reasons.

1: The disclaimer clearly states:   "We do not recommend it and we'll not be responsible if it harms your system."  Pretty clear that this procedure may well harm the operating system and, if/when it does, don't moan as we warned you!

2: The instructions themselves were not 100% clear to me. I am really not that proficient when it gets technical. I'm not prepared to risk damaging the operating system on my everyday PC.

Over the years life has taught me that "if something can go wrong it probably will".

As we all know, within minutes of two identical PCs being in the hands of two different people the computers are no longer the same. Because of this a single set of instructions may well not get the same results on these two computers.

I would sooner live with the situation as it is - where my desktop icons are moved (or disappear) thanks to microsoft and not as a result of my actions. Not ideal, but preferable to risking the smooth operation of my PC at present.

I am quite sure the issue is not due to any malware - as far as it is humanly possible to say so, as I possess what is probably one of the cleanest computers on the planet! 

It it scanned at least once every 24 hours, updated with the latest definitions multiple times during the day (and night) as soon as they are made available, and all downloads, or any form of external device used would be checked before use or being allowed to infect my PC. I do not share memory sticks or any devices from other people, nor DVDs & CDs. I don't open attachments in email, even from known sources - until checked out first.

I only use safe websites and my settings are high security over all else.

I have real time security software running and supplement this with on demand scans for malware as well.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, OK, thanks for that information. I can not see any other way forward at the moment other than buying the upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional from Microsoft. Then at least the first set of instructions for the Group Policy Editor would work. I bought the upgrade when I got the computer, however it should still be available.

I did find firstly a similar thing to the one Ztruker mentioned which is to turn off the computer maintenance, however that also turns off other useful processes as highlighted by iammykyl.

There is also mentioned on the same page an extremely complicated means of editing the registry which I don't recommend as it could lead to a disaster, though your welcome to have a look here at both. :-

http://www.ghacks.ne...s-disappearing/

If anyone else has any idea's for removing or turning off the desktop clean up in Windows 7 Home Premium is the only other hope.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 11 October 2014 - 02:07 PM.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi, OK, thanks for that information. I can not see any other way forward at the moment other than buying the upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional from Microsoft. Then at least the first set of instructions for the Group Policy Editor would work. I bought the upgrade when I got the computer, however it should still be available.

If anyone else has any idea's for removing or turning off the desktop clean up in Windows 7 Home Premium is the only other hope.

Nev.

Thanks for your input. I may (if I pluck up courage) proceed with the Policy Editor install at some point. It's certainly an option. 

As I'm not 100% certain that this issue is even due to the Desktop Cleanup Wizard, I'm trying to keep open minded as to its cause.

I too initially wondered about it being due to malware, but unless it has evaded detection by two different applications I'd ruled that out.

My only previous encounters with the Desktop Cleanup Wizard were on my XP gaming PC.

From memory, I never ever noticed it on my Vista laptop, and apart from this episode I hadn't seen it on the Windows 7 laptop until this. IF it is the Desktop Cleanup doing this I'd have expected some pop up bubble on the Task Bar or a window telling me, but have seen nothing.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi Pete, I added an edit to my previous post which you might not have seen, it doesn't give much hope but worth a look.

Nev.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi Pete, I added an edit to my previous post which you might not have seen, it doesn't give much hope but worth a look.

Nev.

I've just read it. It sounds great - apart from it possibly stopping some processes I wouldn't want to stop.

It's just a bit too complicated, and as for me being let loose on the registry... I don't think so. That's just asking for trouble!  :no:  :geek:  :no:

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 11 October 2014 - 02:24 PM.