Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disable Desktop Cleanup Wizard

Instructions dont work

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I'm already on Recommended settings thanks.

Recommended??

Set it to Off and the disappearing icons will go away. Yes, other maintenance tasks will not happen but at least your icons wont disappear any more.

Another way to do this: http://community.spi...ts-disappearing

Brian_Noga Nov 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I used to run into this all of the time when I first began deploying Windows 7.

If you open Task Scheduler, and go to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Diagnosis you will see that the Windows Scheduled Maintenance Task is set to run by default. It removes unused shortcuts, or even shortcuts to network locations if it thinks that they are broken. I just disable it, and the problem goes away. I know others have been wary of doing that, but I have yet to run into any issues.

Advertisements

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi Ztruker,

Brian Noga says: " just disable it, and the problem goes away. I know others have been wary of doing that, but I have yet to run into any issues."

Very much like driving your car without wearing a seat belt on. It's there to be used for a purpose. 

99.9% of the time you get away with it, then Wallop! and your through the windscreen!

Too late to put the belt on then...

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 14 October 2014 - 04:54 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

True, I guess you get to choose your poison.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Has anyone (reading this) used the following?

"DesktopOK" v.4.0 from http://www.softwareo...eware/DesktopOK

It's a FREE utility that supposedly stops desktop icons moving or disappearing, as far as I can see.

It appears to store the settings (in case they do move or disappear) and will restore the desktop if changes DO occur.

It seems to be intended for people who need to change the desktop resolution (for switching to an external screen display using a different resolution for example) who then find their icons rearranged when they return to using their laptop/notebook screens.

As far as I can make out this could solve my problem, but I'm not keen on using it without some feedback from other users that HAVE used it.

Cheers.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I use DesktopOK on my Windows 7 and 8 computers.

It doesn't stop them from moving or being moved. You tell it when to remember the icon positions then you can set it up so it will restore the positions on boot and you can also manually restore icons positions any time you want.

Good program that works for me.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I use DesktopOK on my Windows 7 and 8 computers.

It doesn't stop them from moving or being moved. You tell it when to remember the icon positions then you can set it up so it will restore the positions on boot and you can also manually restore icons positions any time you want.

Good program that works for me.

Thanks Ztruker,

I'm glad I checked.

The way I read the features I thought it took a picture (i.e. memorised) what desktop items were present, and where they were positioned, so that if they moved or disappeared you could use the application to restore and relocate them to where they were.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

It does, that's what I said.

If the icon is deleted DesktopOK though, will not put it back

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Try the Microsoft fix for this know issue. > http://support2.micr....com/kb/2642357

I checked this out, but it doesn't really apply to my issue thanks.

Did you just look at the fix, or actually apply it to see the result?

The cleanup wizard removes icons it thinks are broken, even if they are not. 

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Gday.

Try the Microsoft fix for this know issue. > http://support2.micr....com/kb/2642357

I checked this out, but it doesn't really apply to my issue thanks.

Did you just look at the fix, or actually apply it to see the result?

The cleanup wizard removes icons it thinks are broken, even if they are not. 

iammykyl,

Yes I did look at the fix. The thing is, I don't want to delete icons microsoft thinks are broken.

I have several icons that I use when I have external hardware attached, for example external drives or memory sticks. I use those icons. Just because I haven't used them recently it doesn't mean I want them removed. I want to be in control of MY desktop.

It's a bit like having a secretary who sees you have items still in your pending tray who moves them to the out tray without asking. I have the items pending as I'm still working on them. 

The icons that disappear or are moved at random are still wanted AND were located where I wanted them. I should be able to dictate what I want, not be manipulated by microsoft.

The more I look into this issue, the less it seems to be the Desktop Wizard causing the problem. There are many people out there who have the same issue. It's just microsoft not catering to the users requirements again.

P.S. I have not "abandoned the topic" as you put it. I still have a life. I'm dealing with this issue as/when I can.

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 22 October 2014 - 10:24 PM.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

It does, that's what I said.

If the icon is deleted DesktopOK though, will not put it back

OK, thanks.

I was hoping it was more like using System Restore.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.   Further down that fix page.

"After you install this hotfix, you can disable the "Broken Shortcut" task or the "Unused Desktop Icon" task in the System Maintenance troubleshooter by configuring the registry. Detailed steps are described in the "Registry information" section."

"To disable the "Broken Shortcut" task"

"To disable the "Unused Desktop Icon" task

I would create a Reg backup before you begin and between each fix.http://support2.micr...t.com/kb/322756

Run the first fix to ensure that System Maintenance troubleshooter is correctly configured.

Then run the two additional fixes making sure to do the reg backup between each.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Gday.   Further down that fix page.

"After you install this hotfix, you can disable the "Broken Shortcut" task or the "Unused Desktop Icon" task in the System Maintenance troubleshooter by configuring the registry. Detailed steps are described in the "Registry information" section."

"To disable the "Broken Shortcut" task"

"To disable the "Unused Desktop Icon" task

I would create a Reg backup before you begin and between each fix.http://support2.micr...t.com/kb/322756

Run the first fix to ensure that System Maintenance troubleshooter is correctly configured.

Then run the two additional fixes making sure to do the reg backup between each.

iammykyl,

Sorry, I don't touch registry. [I watched an I.T. technician mess up a PC whilst working in/on the registry, and that has put me off ever touching it myself.]

I am wondering more and more if this issue is remotely connected to the Desktop Cleanup Wizard at all?

I'm sure I recollect (with an XP computer) that the Wizard used to appear and ask if you wanted to run it or not. I used to decline the offer, and deal with it as/when I wanted to.

However, with this Windows 7 laptop, I have NEVER seen the Desktop Cleanup Wizard appear, let alone be asked if I wanted to run it.

Odd too, is the fact that, since I posted this issue on the forum, my latop hasn't neither lost any desktop icons nor moved them about either!