Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP firewall issues

• Please log in to reply

DE-

DE-

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all, I was wandering through the the control panel trying to configure some port forwarding when I saw my windows xp firewall was not active. I cannot turn it on because all the options under "General" are greyed out. I am logged in as the system administrator.

I read a post from someone who wanted to turn the firewall off but was unable to do so because of a similar problem . . . however the solution to that problem ( stopping the windows firewall service and then restarting it ) did not work for me.

I do not have any other firewall software running on my machine apart from a built in Nvidia firewall. Turning the nvidia firewall on or off does not affect the windows firewall option.

I have some antivirus and anti-spyware running on my machine:
AVG free
Bitdefender free
Spybot teatimer
Adaware SE plus
Spywaredoctor
Windows Spyware remover beta

Is it possible any of these are the culprit?

I have read of some problems concerning the activation of windows firewall after a scan and removal of malware using windows spyware remover beta. However, the problem has been occurring since before I installed and ran WSR.

Any help would be fantastic! :tazz:

Advertisements

Nocturnal

Nocturnal

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have this problem too. Have you resolved this?