Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help. I need to share internet btwn 2 PCs using ONLY crossover cable.

ICS networking

• Please log in to reply

SlowBoat2England

SlowBoat2England

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I’ve been looking for days (over a week now) for a solution to my problem. What I want to do is this:

Share internet from Computer A to Computer B with only a crossover Ethernet cable. No router, no wired hub, just the cable. Both are Windows 7 computers.

I’ve had it set up this way for almost a year, but Computer A’s hard drive recently crashed and I’ve had to replace it with another computer and I lost the instructions that I used before to set it up like this. Here’s what I remember from those instructions, if this will help:

Computer A: (Internet connected PC): One of the ipv’s was set to an IP Address of 192.168.137.1

Computer B: One of the ipv’s was set to 1:2:3:4:5:6:7:8

And I remember having to go into Windows firewall and allow some connection. I think there was an issue with this as well where I had to go in to some settings to even make it show the option to allow the connection?

I think I may also have had to go into my broadband modem and make adjustments as well, cannot remember what I did there.

Someone might ask why I want this sort of setup. The reason is this: I cannot use my router because I connect to a VPN for work over Computer B, and the VPN will not allow me to connect with the model of router I have. Also, I don’t have time to go buy a wired hub even if that would work.

This seems like it would be easy for some of you gurus, so please can someone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Take a look at ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) make sure you set the computer B to an IP on the same network of computer A, for example: 192.168.137.2