Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't boot [closed]

windows wont boot 0xc000014c windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Hi all,

I'm trying to update the system through the Windows update as I update them manually and it returned errors. While searching for the fix, I found out System readiness tool fixes this error and I chose my version 32 bit and I clicked on download. I attended a phone call and while I came back, the laptop was shut down. I restarted it and it booted up to this black screen reading

File : \windows\system32\config\system

Info : windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt.

I tried to search for a fix for this now and I came to know that I need installation disk which I don't have. Some one please help me get out of this issue :(

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

Hi Bob :)

I'll move your thread to the malware forum, where we will havemore tools to check what is going on and how to fix it.

Please tell me what exactly system is this? Windows Vista? 7? 32-bit or 64-bit?

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Oops sorry, forgot to mention it's a 32 bit Windows 7 machine working fine until the sudden power off.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Thanks for the reply Naat :)

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

Thanks for the reply Naat :)

You will thank me when we will be done :)

The system is preinstalled on a recovery partition, right?

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Party when done :D

Recovery partition? Do you mean a separate partition for the OS? It came along with the laptop.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

Exactly. Please try to do this one, you will need a USB stick and an access to a clean machine to download FRST.

Hope it's possible? If not, let me know.

FRST.gif Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from the Recovery Environment

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your flash drive.
There will be two versions to download: 32-bit and 64-bit. Please download the one that is designed for your system. If you don't know which one should it be, download both of them and try each other out. Only one will run - this will be the right one.
Plug the flash drive into the infected PC.

WindowsKey.png Enter the System Recovery Options

Enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

• Startup Repair
  • System Restore
  • Windows Complete PC Restore
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
  • Command Prompt

Select Command Prompt.

notepad.png Access the notepad and identify your USB drive

In the Command Prompt please type in notepad.exe and press Enter.

• When the notepad opens, go to File menu.
  • Select Open.
  • Go to Computer and search there for your USB drive letter.

Note down the letter and close the notepad.

FRST.gif Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Once back in the command prompt window, please do the following:

• Type in e:\frst.exe and press Enter.
    You need to replace e with the letter of your USB drive taken from notepad!
    Please mind also that for 64-bit systems you need to type in FRST64.exe!
  • FRST will start to run. Give him a minute or so to load itself.
  • Click Yes to Disclaimer.
  • In the main console, please click Scan and wait.

When finished it will produce a logfile named FRST.txt in the root of your pendrive and display it. Close that logfile.

Please include the content of that logfile in your next reply.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
I am posting from an android phone. I have an USB drive but not an alternate computer. And yes the os is on C drive dedicated to ptograms and OS

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Is there a work around for this Naat? Or else I had to go some 5 Km to an internet cafe.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

I wouldn't call it a workaround. It would be following my feeling.

WindowsKey.png Enter the System Recovery Options

Enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

• Startup Repair
  • System Restore
  • Windows Complete PC Restore
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
  • Command Prompt

Select Command Prompt.

Type in there

chkdsk c: /r

and hit enter.

Let me know if that will make any difference.

Advertisements

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
I restarted the computer and I got nothing when I tapped F8 continuously. I tried F2 and it entered into the setup which didn't contain the mentioned options. I tried F12 and it has gone into options for changing boot device.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, is that system recovery options present before the Windows logo? I'm not getting past the Windows error recovery menu which appears after the flash of the company logo Acer. The recovery menu is just like the menu I get when I shut it down abruptly, force shut down. I trued selecting safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with cmd and start windows normally. What ever I choose, the screen reading the message in #1 is presented. And in the bottom I got enter=continue Esc=exit. If I choose continue, it says windows error recovery the cycle repeats.

And by the way, the normal shut down button is not functioning. I had to press and hold for a few sec like the hard shut down. Will this make the prob even worse?

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

First of all we don't know what exactly has happened. We need to boot it someway to access the command prompt at least and show me a report from FRST or run ChkDsk.

Sorry, but it means you'll have to go to some other place.
As far as I know, you're in a middle of a Practice Log, so please inform your teacher that we are working to repair your machine.

DOWNLOADS

Save them preferably to the desktop, as it would make the rest of instructions easier.
Recovery .iso file will be downloaded from my GoogleDrive. You will be notified that the file is too big for Google to scan it with built-in virus scanners - I assure you that it's perfectly safe.

PREPARATIONS

Prepare the tool on your clean machine.

rufus-128.png Create bootable USB drive with RUFUS

• Right-click on rufus-128.png icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Configure it with the settings listed below:
    • Device - make sure that your pendrive is listed;
    • File System - set to NTFS;
    • Make sure that Quick format option is checked;
    • Create a bootable disk using - select ISO Image;
    • Click on the small CD icon next to ISO Image - select the downloaded Recovery Environment .iso file.
  • Press Start ant the process should run.

You will be notified on the lower bar when it will be completed.

After that please copy FRST to the root of your pendrive.
Now unplug your pendrive and move it into your corrupted machine.

Also I will post you here instructions to create & burn PuppyLinux to back up you data in case it will be impossible to repair it.

Puppy%20Linux.png Backup your data using Puppy Linux

These instructions come courtesy of phillpower2 from our technical section.

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)
===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click 1BurnCDCCIcon.PNGBurnCDCC
  • Click Browse 2BurnCDCCBrowseButton.PNG and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start 3BurnCDCCStartButton.PNG
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second

• Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD
    4BIOSBootPriorityImage.png

3. Recover Your Data
Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5PuppyLinuxMountIcon.PNG
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.

3b. Transfer Files.

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.

For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.
Alternatively search for Main drive >> Users >> Username

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

If you're doing this to recover from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. Just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption.
Congratulations!

PuppyLinux528screenshot.png

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Okay, I'm starting now. I'll go to cafe and start the downloads. I've intimated my teacher about the machine failure.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
I will be around here in about two hours or so :)