Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem installing second hard drive on new build

• Please log in to reply

chineshop_guy

chineshop_guy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

hello all,

first post here. been out of the computer thing for a while. the last computer i built was a windows 98 system. with that said heres my issue.

built a system consisting of;

asus m5a99 fx pro rev 2.0

win 7 pro, operating system

installed on 240 gig intel ssd

anyway all works fine until i tried to install second hard drive which is a wd 500 gig sata regular hard drive, which i purchased used from ebay, i think its been wiped but probably not formatted.

when i connect it and go to bios it shows up as 0 gig. bios is set to ahci for ports 1 thu 5

i let it go ahead and boot normally and it takes 20 to 30 minutes to do anyrthing i think it end up at like a system repair screen but then won't do anything.

if i disconnect all is fine.

i cant get to any screen that will allow me to configure or format the drive.

thanks in advance for any assistance

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:    chineshop_guy,

As the HDD is a used item there is always a possibility that it is bad but hopefully not.

Can you provide the brand and model name or number for the following;

The add on video card.

The PSU.

Any optical drives that you may have.

Can you also tell us what SATA ports the SSD and HDD are connected to, what the boot sequence is set to and how the mechanical HDD is listed in the BIOS, WD5003AZEX for example.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

chineshop_guy

chineshop_guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

hello phil

video card msi radeon r9 270

psu is corsair gs600

optical is lg GH24NSB0B multi dvd

ssd on port1, does not show any desrciption, just 0.0 gig

hdd port 2

optical port4

boot order prority is dvd then ssd

second hdd is wd5000abys

chineshop_guy

chineshop_guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

just got it to boot with the second drive with priorty set to the sdd, shows up in device manager as generic, says no driver

took about 10 min

going to look for driver

i'll let you know

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That is as if it is the optical drive tripping things up, PSU output is fine your spec which was what I was checking btw  :thumbsup:

What drivers are you looking for, HDDs are plug and play and do not require specific drivers.

I would make a point of wiping the WD using DBan (free) which you can get from here

chineshop_guy

chineshop_guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

here is link i was looking at http://support.wdc.c...&sid=57&lang=en

i dont think thats got anything to do with my problem?

hdd does not show up in explorer.

go to disk managment shows disk 0 system drive, info displayed looks correct

below that, shows disk 1, not initialized and unknown.

if i right click on it has option for mbr or gpt?? dont know what that is

chineshop_guy

chineshop_guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

ok selected initalize as mbr.

gives error drive cannot find sector requested

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

MBR = Master Boot Record and GPT = GUID Partition Table, so that I am not waffling a better explanation than I can give here it basically means that the HDD needs formatting.

Correct in that you do not need the WD firmware update, the diagnostic tools perhaps if you are unable to format the HDD.

Post a screenshot of Disk Manager for us please;

1.        Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

2.        Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.

3.        In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.

4.        In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.

5.        When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.

After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.

Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

chineshop_guy

chineshop_guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

ok here it id i think

Untitled.jpg

chineshop_guy

chineshop_guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

downloaded and ran the diagnostics from wd, it did see my intell ssd and reported it model and size info correctly, did not see the the wd hdd reported as ide and test failed

hum, not looking good for my 25$ bargain.

just as a note, may not be relevent to this problem, was reading thru my mobo book, it says my optical drive should be connected to port 5 and set to ide in the bios??

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Can I ask how you installed Windows 7 to the SSD as there is no optical drive shown in Disk Manager.

Try the following Windows tool for the WD HDD;

Open the Start Menu, type diskpart press Enter
Type list disk, press Enter
Type select disk 1 (the WD is shown as Disk 1 or is it the optical drive :headscratch: ) press Enter
Type clean, press Enter
Type create partition primary, press Enter
Type format quick fs=ntfs, press Enter
Type assign, press Enter
Type exit, press Enter

No idea about setting the optical drive to IDE in the BIOS as your MB does not have any IDE sockets.

Polite reminder. from my reply #8

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

chineshop_guy

chineshop_guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

get to the create partition primary

disk part encontered error: the drive cannot find the sector requested. see system event log for more info

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Does not look good for the HDD, is there by chance an error log or is that also missing.

chineshop_guy

chineshop_guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

only in the system event log, says vds fails to write boot code during clean operation,

so, should this whole process just be plug and play. don't remember it being a complicated thing back in the win98 days

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

$25 was not cheap for a 500GB HDD what sort of feedback did the seller have.

You should be able to connect the HDD to any SATA port (but not SATA port 3 on some MBs).

I`m out of suggestions so looked to Google and found the following;

Go into Disk Management right click on the gray area on the disk that says 'unknown or 'not intialized' - properties -- MPIO tab - by default the first path is Active/Optimised - if you have more then 1 path (as in our case) change this path to standby and try make one of the other paths Active/Optimised and tick the 'Preferred' check box and rescan - And one of the other paths should work.

The error appears common on server drives and in RAID arrays btw.