Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

programs not responding

• Please log in to reply

azul20

azul20

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hello,

I am having some issues with my Windows 8.1 laptop. If I am searching for something online, or if I just want to open a document, I get a message at the top of the screen saying something like this application is not responding. After a few rapid clicks, the program will eventually open, but I have noticed that over time the problem has gotten worse. Even as I am typing this message, the words appear on the screen a few seconds after I have finished typing them. I have run AVG, Spybot and the ESET online scan. I currently use Zone Alarm as a firewall.  AVG and Spybot were not able to pick up anything. ESET found and removed three threats, but after a restart the system is still acting the same. I read that some of the problems that I am experiencing could be due to a failing hard drive. I performed the Windows built in error checking on the C drive, but nothing negative came up after the scan was finished. If you can, I would please like some help resolving these issues.

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

:welcome:    azul20

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with some hardware and software information that will hopefully explain the present issue/s.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you for the reply. Here is the link that you requested.

http://speccy.pirifo...dG7ejQzQkVMy1vB

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Hello azul20,

Thank you for the Speccy url  :thumbsup:

Two things I suggest that you do to begin with, 1: Uninstall AVG free (see below) as it is a hog on resources and slows down your computer and 2: Get rid of the two free Firewalls that you have running as they do not offer the full protection that the paid for versions have + again they will slow down your computer as they fight for resources and when conflicting they could leave you unprotected, use Windows Firewall as it is better than either of the other two free versions.

Are you aware that Windows 8 and 8.1 both have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

Can I ask why you have so many small partitions on the HDD.

NB: Windows needs to be updated btw  :thumbsup:

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you again for the reply. Do you have any other suggestions for virus protection besides Windows Defender? In the past, I recognized that AVG was slightly slowing down my system(not as much as it is now), so I completely uninstalled the program, and turned on Windows Defender. Defender did not do a good job at all. After a while of only using Defender, my system became infected. Even after scanning with Defender, nothing would show up. I am not sure about the small partitions on the hard drive The only thing that I can think of is when I had to use the Windows 8 restore setting a few months back. Did you notice any problems with the HDD itself?

Thank you again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Hello azul20

Can I ask how long ago the computer was infected and was the problem resolved with the help of a malware expert.

The Smart status of the HDD is good but we can check this further, depending on your update regarding the above question you may need to be redirected to the GTG malware forums.

Can you post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager which you can access by pressing the WIN and X  keys together on your keyboard, alternatively from Windows 8.1 update you can right-click with the mouse or stylus on the Start button to bring up the menu. 

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

You are welcome btw  :)

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Unfortunately, I have never been able to capture a screen shot with this laptop. I have tried several times in the past, and I tried again after reading your post, but still no luck. I have never had this problem with other computers. I do not remember the exact date that I was experiencing the problems, but it was a few months ago. I didn't consult a malware expert. At the time, I did not have very many important files on the laptop, so I just used the Windows 8 Recovery Tool.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Thanks for the update azul20  :thumbsup:

In view of your above reply I think it wise that you check the computer for malware, this because it can be so deep rooted that not even a full format of the HDD will clear it, please refer to the GTG malware redirection text + the additional guidance that I have included below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;

1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.

2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.

3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days and not received any reply to your topic please post in the Waiting Room be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Okay, I will do just that. Thank you for your help, and have a great day.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

You are welcome  :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Advertisements

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hello Phillpower2,

Ruggie asked me to repost in this thread after we found out that the problem is not malware related.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Hello azul20,

Have read your malware thread but to make life more easy can you post here exactly where you are up to with this as in how is the computer behaving etc.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hello Phillpower,

Programs will shut down by themselves without any error messages or warnings. Sometimes, there will be a pop up saying that Windows has ran into a problem and needs to close. After that, the system will shut off, or restart. Both have happened. Also, I get a message saying something like this application is not responding. I get that message pretty often with everything from word documents to web browsers. The computer really lags as well. Not just while I am online, but even if I am typing, or browsing through files. If I were to try and use the Windows Search feature, it would take a very long time before any results will appear.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

Hello Azul20,

A bit of work may need to be done with this as there are no particular clues as to the cause  :(

Something that I did notice in the Speccy report when I just went back to it was the size of the virtual memory (page file) you have 4GB of physical Ram so the virtual memory should be 1.5 Xs that and so = 6GB, this may not be the cause but changing it will help improve performance in general, the same steps apply to Vista, 7 and 8 etc, see here

Memory details from Speccy;

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 49 %
Total Physical: 3.46 GB
Available Physical: 1.73 GB
Total Virtual: 4.15 GB
Available Virtual: 1.82 GB

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you very much. I will try and look into this today.