Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

programs not responding

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No problem but take care as to how many computers that you attempt to repair at any one time, GTG does not provide support for those that repair computers for personal gain  :whistling:

Advertisements

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I'm not running a side business here. These all belong to me, and I plan on keeping them. I'm spending to get the new HDD from my other post, and the screen for the ASUS, but not making any deposits. However, I can see why you would think that. Thank you though. I really do appreciate all the support. I would like to push the date back a little when it comes to adjusting the virtual memory. Something has come up. I believe that there is a 72 hour response time, but can you please keep this thread open for a little longer than that? Thanks again phillpower2!

Edited by azul20, 19 November 2014 - 02:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

It was said tongue in cheek azul20  ;) 

Reply when you can btw as we understand that you may have other things to attend to :yes: 

For future reference, there is no time limit when you should reply to tech topics but as you have done as a courtesy you have let us know that you may not be around and we appreciate that, thank you  :thumbsup:  malware topics differ though as the staff there have to plan individual removal procedures specific to a certain computer and if a user is away for too long all of the hard work done has most likely been undone + locking threads prevents other people posting in the thread looking for help for themselves.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hey phillpower,

I am currently going through the steps of changing the virtual memory, and if I am reading your post correctly, I will need to change the size to 6,144MB, correct? Under virtual memory, would that be the initial size, or the maximum size? Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your reply.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Correct + the maximum size, it can be larger but that can cause issues when set too large.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you phillpower2. The virtual memory has been changed. I will now play around with it, and see if I get the same results as before. In the past, the system would usually work fine after a reboot, so it may take some time before I am able to see if positive changes have occurred. I will make sure to keep you updated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome azul20 and thank you for the update  :thumbsup:

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

It seems like it has fixed some of the issues. I still get kicked off line, and programs still freeze, just not as frequently. Occasionally, programs will not respond, but the speed has picked up quite a bit. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Some progress has been made at least  :thumbsup:

Download then run Windows Repair (All In One) from here please disregard the malware steps but follow the other three as directed and be sure to create a new system restore point before you begin.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hey Phillpower,

After completing Windows repair yesterday, the system was performing much better. However, a few moments ago, I was using the Samsung to look up some instructions on YouTube when I lost my internet connection. Next, the screen turned white, and stayed that way for a few minutes, until returning to normal. I was still able to get online with different computers, so I know that the problem is with that laptop.

EDIT-Now the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center window is stuck on my desktop asking me to accept, and download software. This is the first time I have seent this window on this laptop, strange. It looks legitimate, but I do not know if I want to accept.

Edited by azul20, 29 November 2014 - 07:22 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello azul20,

The initial problem is often caused by overheating (the white screen in particular) did the base of the notebook feel hot.

Use Ctrl-Alt-Del to access Task Manager and end tasks then restart the computer, do not download anything but post back with an update.

Make a note of that YouTube link and avoid it in the future better still let us know what it was so others that may read this thread will also have the chance to avoid it.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you for the reply. No, the computer was not hot at all. I am able to get online again, but the system is going back to its usual lagging. I did not fully understand the last part of your post. Did you want me to post a link of the Youtube video? I would not think the video would be the culprit, but if you would like me to find it, I can.

Edited by azul20, 29 November 2014 - 08:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No link required because if it is the cause of the latest issue ie has infected your computer we don't want anybody else inadvertently clicking on the link and ending up in the same position.

White screen and slow performance often = overheating, but as you were connected to the internet when this happened as a precaution I would suggest that you refer back to the self help etc information here let us know how you get on.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hey Phillpower2,

You know, do you think that it could just be the Windows 8 OS that is causing these problems? After all that we have tried, the same original problems have continued to occur. I am always reading how people have problems with speed when it comes to Windows 8, but I haven't been able to find too much on all of these issues happening at once, and not being fixed after trying the things that we have tried. I have had Speed Fan running, and there does not seem to be any problems with that. Also, the laptop was not the slightest bit hot when the screen turned white. There doesnt seem to be any real pattern. In the past, a restart would give it a boost for a while. Now, that won't do very much. Strange. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Have you followed the Self Help Guide again as suggested azul20?