Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my motherboard compatiable with these upgrades? (Resolved)

upgarde help

• Please log in to reply

bobby101

bobby101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

ok thanks last question with the duel core i have at moment and the evga gtx 760 sc 2gb im  going to get with 4gb of ram will i beable to run borderlands the pre sequal at 60 fps on decent settings??

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Again you will benefit from a quad core CPU + it depends on the speed of your Ram, you told us back in reply #6 that it was 800MHz, your MB is not compatible with 800MHz Ram so you need to confirm what speed it is.

Just read the following;

Borderlands appears to run on just about anything and seems largely GPU agnostic (no major AMD vs. nVidia disparity), though it will favor nVidia due to partnerships between 2K and the graphics chip manufacturer. Most users will be able to play Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel relatively happily on a 250X or 750 Ti, depending on budget, though users driving higher resolution displays will want to look into the GTX 760770, or 970. If AMD is of more interest, it appears that an R9 280 (not shown on the charts above) would play everything fairly well at max settings with multiple monitors.

Full article here

bobby101

bobby101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Yes i understand that the quad core will run better but will i beable to run borderlands at medium settings for the mean time till a month has passed so then can afford the proccessor??also how do i find out  the speed of my ram i used cpu-z not sure if i looked at the correct tab for speed of ram.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
it depends on the speed of your Ram, 

Click on the memory tab in CPU-Z and post a screenshot of the results.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

bobby101

bobby101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Here is the screen shot : Untitled.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

To avoid a potential bottleneck if you are able to I would upgrade the Ram at the same time as the video card, the present 4GB stick is working in single channel mode and you are losing bandwidth, without getting overly complicated your Ram is shown to be running at 798.0 MHz but as the memory module has two banks of memory chips it would be advertised and sold as 1600MHz by manufacturers and merchants and not as 800MHz.

Is the Ram here the same as yours, there is a chance that your present Ram has been discontinued by A-Data however you would be better off performance wise with at least CL9 Ram.

bobby101

bobby101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

that isnt the ram i have at the moment i think got this ram (http://www.amazon.co...words=adata ram) however what ram would you suggest me getting??

Edited by bobby101, 19 October 2014 - 05:53 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

As I said earlier your present Ram may have been discontinued, the Ram at your amazon link is the wrong speed and cas latency (CL) to that shown in your screenshot;   Product Description

ADATA PREMIER DDR3 DIMM 4GB 1333 ADATA utilizes leading technology and strict control of each step of memory module production process to bring you unbeatable value in the Premier Pro™ Series DDR3-1333 (CL9).

As to what Ram is recommended for your MB we will have to check the ASUS website, see my canned text below regarding upgrading/purchasing a CPU and Ram for a MB;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

Ram that is on your MBs QVL here

Edited by phillpower2, 19 October 2014 - 06:45 AM.
Link to Ram added.

bobby101

bobby101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

so the G.Skill Ripjaws X is what you recommend me to get??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

If you cannot obtain a matching stick to the one that you have now then yes I would recommend the G-Skill Ram, by all means try the present single stick with a new video card and PSU, I can only advise you as  to the potential bottleneck (which I have done) and the final choice is yours to make I'm afraid.

Advertisements

bobby101

bobby101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Ok thanks for all the help  :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Let us know what you decide upon and/or if you have any other questions etc.

You are most welcome btw  :)

bobby101

bobby101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Going to be getting the graphics card in a month with the psu and then getting ram and cpu a month after. looking forward to starting pc gaming :) anyway thanks for all the help il be sure to come back if i need to  :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

You are welcome  :)

Let us know how the upgrades perform and any questions along the way likewise let us know.

bobby101

bobby101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Sorry to bother you but ive been looking at the evga gtx 760( http://www.aria.co.u...ce=pcpartpicker  )you recommended me getting and the price is £156 which is on special offer and only 2 are left in stock if these go by the time its my birthday (1 month)when  i have money to buy the gpu and psu could you help me find a offer on this same card at about same price if it goes back to original price?

Edited by bobby101, 28 October 2014 - 10:19 AM.