Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Avira OE. servicehost.exe

• Please log in to reply

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

A couple of hours ago while on www.facebook.com, I received notification in taskbar that AVira had upgraded.  I paid little attention to it at the time, until when I tried to call up another website and I seen these large icons plastered all over my screen, icons that pertained, to Gmail, Facebook, etc.  with a search bar on the top. At the toop of my screen it would show "new tab".  To go on working i woould have to x it out, which woud talke me back to my search engine, in this case www.google.ca.  Down on the left hand side of the screen near the strt button woul be these words: "Astromenda"  What on earth is this all about.  I have received no Avira.OE. Servicehost error messages yet.

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,390 posts

As far as I can tell:

Astromenda is a browser hijacker, which is promoted via other free downloads, and once installed it will change your browser homepage to astromenda.com and set the default search engine to Astromenda Search.

You may want to follow the directions here http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ Post the OTL.TXT and the Extra's .txt Log reports so someone can take a look for you.

Don't post the logs here, start a new topic in the Malware removal forum.

Joe :)

GeekU Minion

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,434 posts

Hi :)

I have responded in the malware thread, so please stick with the other one until I will declare you are clean.

Naat :)