Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lenovo G470 won't boot.

• Please log in to reply

cipiti6

cipiti6

• Pip
  • 9 posts

System boots to cursor and then Lenovo logo and then goes into loop (cursor-logo-cursor logo etc.) Cannot boot into safe mode. Can't boot from diisk drive. One key recovery doesn't do anything. Can't access Cmoss. Is this a virus or hard drive problem?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   cipiti6

A failed HDD would not prevent you from getting into the BIOS but I believe that there is or has been malware that is so bad that it affects the BIOS chip, the latter will require the assistance of the GTG malware experts but can I first ask how you are attempting to access the BIOS and what actually happens when you are unable to gain access, does it go straight to the cursor - logo loop.

Has any attempt to update the BIOS been made, the reason that I ask is because the computer is failing before Windows has attempted to start as in the computer is failing the POST (power on self test) this may point towards a problem with the BIOS (this is rare if left alone) itself because a failed HDD would normally result in a "no boot device found" type of message + you have said that you cannot access the BIOS/CMOS area.

As an outside chance that it may help, if you have or can borrow a USB type keyboard try connecting that to the notebook and then powering up the computer while tapping the F2 key, if that does nothing, power down the notebook for a few moments then restart it but this time keep tapping the F1 key.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Looking at the malware possibility please see if you can do the following. This assumes you have a CD drive either on the machine or that you can attach to the computer. It also assumes this is a 64bit machine. Tell me if those don't apply. :)

Download OTLPENet.exe from here

This is a way to access your computer using a CD that we will create.

Before starting you might like to print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing. The instructions need to be followed exactly.

You will need a blank CD and a USB stick/flash drive.

Now

• Download OTLPE.iso from here and save it somewhere you can get it.
  • Insert a writable blank CD/DVD in your CD drive and click on the OTPLE.iso to burn a CD.

Next
  • connect the USB Flash Drive
  • Download FRST and save it to the root of the USB Flash Drive.

After that

• Reboot/restart the infected system using the boot CD (i.e. insert the CD in the CD drive) you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • When you see a message with Starting REATOGO-X-PE connect the USB Flash Drive
  • The CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system... it can take a bit of time, just be patient  :)
  • After it has fully loaded your system should display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double click the My Computer icon and open the drive corresponding to your flash drive
  • Double-click on FRST to run it.  FRSTicon.jpg
    When the Tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

]FRSTconsole-2.jpg

• Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called (FRST.txt) on the flash drive.
  • Open the Start Menu and click Shutdown to close the REATOGO-X-PE
  • Insert the Flash Drive on the working computer, then locate and open the FRST.txt log
  • Please copy and paste the log contents back here.

cipiti6

cipiti6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Do I use a working computer? My CD drive won't work on Infected machine. Thanks for your patients. I will copy your instructions.

cipiti6

cipiti6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I tryed to access cmoss by pressing F1 and F8 and all F keys. It does nothing at all. tryed One Key Rescue( nothing)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Do I use a working computer?

The one you would be using to communicate here and you would use to download programs/tools from here.

I guess it's possible you are using a mobile phone or a tablet to post here? Tell me if that is the case.

My CD drive won't work on Infected machine.

Is that new or just that your machine is broken at the moment?

Put another way, might it just be that your machine is not booting up properly and that if we used a bootable disk in the CD drive it might work when you restarted the computer?

cipiti6

cipiti6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I am using another computer. Will my infected machine cd drive work after I create and  load the disk you want me to create?

cipiti6

cipiti6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I can't access my bios by hitting del key. I tryed loading a bootable disk. Nothing works. What would happen if I disconnect my hard drive?  Could I access my bios?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

It depends, the idea of the instructions is to create a bootable disk that can be used to boot up your machine.

If your computer is set to check the CD for a bootable disk it could very well run and boot your computer. Unfortunately you appear not able to access BIOS to check that, see here.

I think it's a matter of trying it to see if it will work. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I see we cross posted.

I tryed loading a bootable disk.

Oh I see, and when you restarted your computer nothing happened?

Advertisements

cipiti6

cipiti6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I am going to try your procedure. I will see if i can get cd to load. on infected machine.

cipiti6

cipiti6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I understand what your saying. I can't set cd drive to load first since I can't access bios. I am going to try your procedure and I will post tommorrow and let you know what happened..  Thanks for your help. I am just learning.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

:thumbsup:  Look forward to hearing how it went.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Excuse the interjection folks  :)

I tryed to access cmoss by pressing F1 and F8 and all F keys. It does nothing at all. tryed One Key Rescue( nothing)

cipit6

It is possible that the keyboard has either failed, the ribbon become detached from the MB or it has somehow become disabled in the BIOS, any of these would result in the notebook failing the power on self test (POST) due to a keyboard error being detected by the BIOS -  can I ask if the time and date on the taskbar were correct the last time that you were able to use the notebook.

As an outside chance that it may help, if you have or can borrow a USB type keyboard try connecting that to the notebook and then powering up the computer while tapping the F2 key, if that does nothing, power down the notebook for a few moments then restart it but this time keep tapping the F1 key.

To at least rule the option in or out please try a USB keyboard if you can  :thumbsup:

Steps for checking that the keyboard is connected to the MB can be followed here

cipiti6

cipiti6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I tryed loading OTLPE disk I made up according to instructions.. The infected pc will not load disk. I will check keyboard ribbon. I don't have another keyboard to try. What if I disconnect HD and see what happens?