Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

infected? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Firstly, try the next link to virus chest - Scan history - It should have it listed in there.

But to be honest I am thinking that it may be a hardware issue. Lets take a look...

seatools.pngSeatools Scan

Close all open windows and browsers.

• Download Seatools from here and save the file to the desktop.
  • Right click SeaToolsforWindowsSetup and select run as administrator.
  • Agree to the licence agreement and follow the prompts to install.
  • Once completed, start SeaTools for Windows and accept the licence agreement.
  • Select your drive by placing a check mark next to it.
    seatools1.png
  • Click Basic Tests and then Long Drive Test
    seatools2.png
  • You will see a progress indicator to the right of the drive selected. Once finished, post the results here.

Advertisements

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hey Ruggie,

Here is the log from the Seatools scan.

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.2.0.10 ---------------
10/28/2014 10:08:10 PM
Model: ST9500325AS
Serial Number: S2WJEPMH
Firmware Revision: 0011LVM1
Long Generic - Started 10/28/2014 10:08:10 PM
Long Generic Aborted 10/28/2014 10:09:47 PM
Long Generic - Started 10/28/2014 10:29:14 PM
Long Generic - Pass 10/29/2014 12:51:45 AM

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
Hi. Just touching base because I dont have access to a computer at the moment so posting this on the phone.
Hopefully should have access tomorrow so I will post again then.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
Hi.
Lets try a clean boot to see if it works notmally.

Please follow the directions at the following link to perform a clean boot. Sorry I cant put full instructions as I am still mobile.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hey Ruggie,

Thank you for the reply. What would you like me to do while the system is in the clean boot environment? 

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
Just see how it performs. If everything runs better or not.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Okay, I will have time to do that later on tonight, or tomorrow. Will that be a problem?

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
Not at all :)

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hey there Ruggie,

I apologize for the delayed post. I have been pretty busy over the last few days. After the clean boot the system is performing much faster, and I have not experienced the intense slowness in the last couple of days, but there is some slight lagging. Do you have any ideas on how I may be able to speed that up? In the past, if I left the laptop running over night, then it would not work properly when I would need to use it, but now it seems like that problem is solved. Will the system start into a clean boot environment from now on, or is that something that I will need to adjust every now and then? Thank you again Ruggie. I really appreciate your help.

Edited by azul20, 02 November 2014 - 09:20 AM.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hi.

The clean boot is a temporary fix as it disables startup items.

We need to isolate which one is causing the issue.

Advertisements

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Now we know that the culprit is currently disabled within your msconfig we can narrow down which one it is. This will take a bit of time and experimentation:

• Run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Reboot to test again. If the problem recurs, Uncheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.
  • If the problem does not re-occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled. Reboot to test again. If the problem recurs, Uncheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

Or, if you are happy with the way things are running. Leave them disabled and only enable when/if you need the extra services.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hey Ruggie,

The system seems to be running fine the way it is. Do you see any problems with leaving it this way? The fan seems to be running a lot more than usual, but I am having absolutely no problems with performance. Thank you again Ruggie. It behaves as if it is brand new. 

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

It is fine to leave it as it is if it is working as it should.

If you find that a program doesn't work properly that is in the msconfig startup, then you can simply re-enable it using the same procedure.

Good news, it looks like your system is now clean. A good workman cleans up after himself so let's now attend to that :D

Tool Removal

We need to remove the tools we've used during cleaning your machine

• Download Delfix from here
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
    Also tick:
    • Activate UAC
    • Create registry backup
    • Purge system restore
    • Reset System Settings
    delfix-select.png
  • Click Run
  • The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. Please paste the log in your next reply

Keep your machine updated

Due to the ever-present tide of malware, it is important to ensure your computer is kept up-to-date to minimize the risk of future infection. An important step is to ensure that automatic updates are enabled.

Malwarebytes AntiMalware

As you have installed Malwarebytes, I recommend that you keep this program and use it to help you stay clean.

The free version will scan your computer and fix the problems it finds but will not provide real-time protection. You must scan regularly to find any threats.
    Consider purchasing the full version for active monitoring of threats.

Update Other Programs

Alongside keeping Windows updated, other programs installed on your computer should also be kept current as they too can introduce security risks.

Filehippo Update Checker will scan your computer for out of date programs and provide download links for the updates. This is worth doing on a regular basis.

Cryptolocker Warning
    Go here for information about CryptoLocker Ransomeware.
    The main thing with this infection is ~ Backup.
    If you're using an external hard drive, keep it unplugged from the computer when you're not backing up files or using it. This will prevent the infection from getting to your backed up files if you ever do come across it.

Recommended Programs
    Unchecky is a small service that runs in the background to help keep those "extra toolbars" and tag along search engines from automatically installing. By automatically directing you to a custom install with all the options unchecked, only what you manually choose and confirm gets installed.
    CryptoPrevent is a free program that prevents CryptoLocker / ransomware from infecting your PC by locking down the OS so the malware can not get a grip on your system.
    Web Of Trust is a browser add-on designed to alert the user before interacting with a potentially malicious website. It will highlight green if a site is known to be safe.

Adblock is a firefox browser add-on that blocks annoying banners, pop-ups and video ads.

General Advice
    • When browsing the internet, look closely at the links you click on. Some aren't always what they seem
    • Avoid Peer to Peer file sharing utilities, these are a minefield of malware infections.
    • Don't open email attachments unless you are expecting them. Even an email from your best friend can be infected, they might not have sent it.
    • Pay attention when installing a program to your computer, particularly to any check boxes that may appear during installation, it is common for unwanted software to be installed in this way.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you very much Ruggie. As time goes on, I have noticed that some of the original problems start to reoccur. At certain times, the system is so slow that when I type something into the Windows start page, I will not get a result until a minute or two later. Also, certain programs will not respond until I restart the system. Do you happen to know of any ways I may try and go about fixing this? 

Edited by azul20, 07 November 2014 - 04:48 PM.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hmmm. Strange.

I think we should have another look under the hood to make sure there is nothing lurking. As the scan below has been run before, please ensure the addition check box is marked.

Initial FRST Scan

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop. There will be 2 versions offered, if you know which version is the one you need, download that one, if not, download both, only one will work on your computer, that is the one you need.

• Right click frst.png to run as administrator. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Ensure that the following are ticked as in the image below

Drivers MD5
    Addition.txt
    frst-addition.png
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • This will also generate another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.