Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crashes (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 05 November 2014 - 01:52 AM

Any replacement PSU must have an equal or above power output (including amps on the +12V rail) to the present PSU, have the same type of connections and be a good quality brand such as Antec, Corsa... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

maddog10

maddog10

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hello hello. I'll tell you what I know and if anyone can tell me the first thing I should start looking at.

Windows 7. the screen went black with lots of $ signs on it and we could not do anything with the computer. So I pulled the plug. After turning the PC back on we had no video signal, but the pc was on. After lots of rebooting and changing the cable and pulling out the plug we got it to reboot and the PC worked fine. I started a virus scan and went away. Later my dads says has lost video signal again and I repeated pulling out the plug and it booted up fine, but when I started up a program It crashed with a blue screen with text(could not note down) and lost power, suddenly rebooting. this happens again and again. Also when it has no video signal the mouse also has no power.

Any ideas. A virus or hardware damage

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello maddog10,

The first thing I would suspect is the power supply being bad and possibly affecting your other hardware.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used, the PSU (power supply unit) and the amount of Ram, providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Ok will do,when i wake up tomorrow. Its a little late right now. Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome  :)

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Alright as much as I could work out

Its a desktop

Dell Inspiron 570

AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.80 GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR3 DIMM

Video: ATI Radeon HD 4200

PSU: Not sure, but 300 Watt, 115/230 VAC, CR2032 lithium

It doesnt crash when you run it in safe mode

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
RUnning in safemode and it not crashing would imply a pretty serious infection, not a hard ware problem...

When Phil is done, I'll see if I can catch you a remover to check things out.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Windows starting in Safe Mode most often suggests a driver issue when a computer will not boot into Windows as it should do, alternatively a damaged OS may behave in a similar manner once the damaged part of the OS is called upon.

Do you have a Windows 7 or a Dell reinstallation disk maddog10, if no to both can you let us know if you have access to another computer to burn a Windows 7 ISO, I will be suggesting that you run SFC (system file checker) to see if Windows needs to be repaired, some but not all of the time you can be asked for the Windows 7 disk when an error that cannot be automatically repaired by SFC is encountered. 

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Windows starting in Safe Mode most often suggests a driver issue when a computer will not boot into Windows as it should do, alternatively a damaged OS may behave in a similar manner once the damaged part of the OS is called upon.

Do you have a Windows 7 or a Dell reinstallation disk maddog10, if no to both can you let us know if you have access to another computer to burn a Windows 7 ISO, I will be suggesting that you run SFC (system file checker) to see if Windows needs to be repaired, some but not all of the time you can be asked for the Windows 7 disk when an error that cannot be automatically repaired by SFC is encountered. 

Ok yes I have another computer and I will start looking into that. I'd like to add that the PC sometimes boots up normally, but does still crash at differents time. Right now I've managed to start a virus scan on the PC.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

If the virus scan turns up anything let us know and we can provide the malware redirection information for you.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

If the virus scan turns up anything let us know and we can provide the malware redirection information for you.

No scan results. It crashed or rather the screen froze and the screen displayed a messed up screen

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Driver conflict or damaged OS are still strong candidates as the cause.

I suggest that you download an appropriate Windows 7 ISO from here + use the MS download tool from here once you have burned the ISO you can safely run SFC, let us know when you have your ISO and we can move on.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Wish I had more spare time to work on this. Tried running my avast virus scan in safe mode and it crashed(well lost the video signal suddenly). Running another malware program, but its a bit out of date.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I cannot help you with anything related to malware scans, only the experts on those forums can, there is nothing atm to suggest that the issue is malware related but if you have reason to suspect that it is please see the tutorial here if not refer to the ISO information that I previously provided and then post back.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I cannot help you with anything related to malware scans, only the experts on those forums can, there is nothing atm to suggest that the issue is malware related but if you have reason to suspect that it is please see the tutorial here if not refer to the ISO information that I previously provided and then post back.

Ok I ran the sfc and there was nothing wrong. I also ran the hardware and memory tests from the Dell installation disc that I have. The hardware test was fine, but the memory test ended with

Memory - WCMch Test

Testing 00_00400000h - 00_CFF5FFFFh (3323 MB) with 4 CPU(s)

Test Results : Fail

Error Code 2000-0123

Msg : Memory - Integrity test failed.

and the $ symbols started dancing about again

removed and reseated memory modules and blew all the dust away.

The computer sometimes boots up normally and works fine. Sometimes it crashes/freezes, sometimes it even does this in safe mode. I have not been around sadly to note down the bluescreens( and cannot get them recorded in Minidumps)

Previous displays and beeps I've had are

1 beep = possible system board failure and BIOS ROM checksum failure

and before a display has read

CMOS checksum error black screen

Oh also managed a full avast virus scan and nothing in that either.

Edited by maddog10, 27 October 2014 - 04:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

My canned text for physically testing the Ram can be found below;

Previous displays and beeps I've had are

1 beep = possible system board failure and BIOS ROM checksum failure

and before a display has read

CMOS checksum error black screen

When you are able to boot into Safe Mode are the time and date shown to be correct on the taskbar.

Do you have an option in the BIOS such as "restore factory" or "most stable" settings, if yes have or can you try selecting this as a bad BIOS setting could be tripping your Ram up.

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following
safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket  and take anti static
precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal
part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is Ram in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual.