Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Virus on my computer? [Solved]

Virus Malware Spyware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It may be blocking something so it is worthwhile checking it on your home network

What you can do with regards to Chrome is delete the current synch data and then start afresh http://www.howtogeek...wser-sync-data/

Advertisements

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

So far I haven't had any issues on the protected network or the home network. I haven't yet done anything that usually triggers it so I'll do that and mention if anything happens. If not, it seems to be better. Something did happen when I first got home and booted up my computer though. I was able to log in just fine, but I was stuck with a grey screen after (not popping up with my desktop). I could use commands such as Ctrl Alt Del easy as it responded rather quickly. After a while of nothing happening, I restarted it and when I logged in a second time it went right to my desktop no problem. This has only happened one other time, and because of it I'm slightly suspicious. Is that another thing entirely or is it related to the problems I was having before? I also haven't reinstalled Chrome yet. Once I know for sure IE is fine I will, and I'll delete the synch data so hopefully that will be alright too.

Edited by navyblue161, 25 October 2014 - 10:38 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The grey screen is an occasional hiccup with windows but if it is a one off then it is not a problem

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Alright sounds good! I'll try and load on chrome later. If there's any issues I'll let you know. But thank you very much for all your help. I greatly appreciate it!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problemo, here to help :)

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
When reinstalling chrome, do you have any suggestion on how to get my bookmarks? I assume when I delete the sync backup I'll lose all of them. I have some kept separate where I can start fresh, but there's new ones I don't have any back ups on

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Try this from IE and see if it allows you to delete select items http://www.tech-reci...rome-sync-data/

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I'll try that this afternoon and let you know if anything happens. Thanks so much! I'm very impressed with everything you were able to do considering I had exhausted everything and everyone that could help!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I do have a lot of resources both human and software to call on :)

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Which is awesome! So I haven't had any pop up windows, but now that I've been using the internet, the tabs have been going to the homepage (MSN since I haven't changed it since I reset it) without me touching it. Basically what it was doing before as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual windows start popping up too. So I guess it's not fixed?

Advertisements

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
The windows started popping up again. So yep back to the drawing board XD

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is this the chrome one ?

Lets have a new look with FRST

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Select additions at the bottom
  • Press Scan button.
    frst.JPG
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please attach both logs generated.

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I haven't even put chrome back on yet or any synch data. This was IE acting up. Is this the same FRST program we've been using or a different one?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The same one, just that this one has had an update. Could you screenshot the popup please

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Ohhh ok sounds good to me. I have some pictures on my phone I can put up. This is on my phone so I had to attach it as an image. You'll have to let me know if you can see it. If not I'll have to do it through my computer tonight.

Edited by navyblue161, 27 October 2014 - 10:09 AM.